Your eyes

Alya grinned as she sensed that tingling feeling on her wrist.

Her soulmate was writing to her.

'Hey there, Rena.'

She wrote back.

'Hi, Carapace.'

Marinette was well aware of the fact that her best friend had found her soulmate.

Alya and Nino both thought it would be a lot of fun if, instead of calling each other by their real names through 'writing', they started calling each other Carapace and Rena Rouge.

Everyone in this world had a soulmate. However, their bonds were quite different.

Alya and Nino were the types who formed the commonest part of society.

The types who could see on their own hand, what their other half was writing on his or her hand.

The others, however, were bonded with their soulmates differently. The not so rare types were those who were tied to their soulmate by the red string of fate.

Those were the most fragile of couples. But that doesn't mean their love could be broken. They were like those tsundere types.

Some people had the belief that when they were old enough, a tattoo similar to your soulmate's personality would appear on your body. The same goes for the other half. The tattoo could be about a person's hobby, their favourite food, or a word sometimes.

The rarer ones could not see the colour of the world until they looked into their soulmate's eyes. They would hear stories from their elders about how the world was a beautiful and colourful place. They would get excited because as long as they could see, the world was just a blur of black, white and grey shades.

The even rarer ones involved a single touch of your soulmate. It was believed that if you touch your soulmate, all their memories, their past, childhood, likes, dislikes, would come flooding into your own mind. And your soulmate could see your life just the same.

These, as far as humans knew, had the strongest of connections. Because your partner, your whole, your soulmate knew what you went through.

But, there were more. Ever since the universe was created, there has been only one such case where two people in the world, a bubbly girl named Tikki and a lazy cheese-loving boy called Plagg, had two different eye colours.

One of their eyes retained its original colour. But the other eye was of the colour of your soulmate's eye. And that your eye could only be normal once you've seen him.

But the cases never arose again. So, this story became a myth. Soon forgotten from the aspiring minds of the human race.

Marinette smiled at her best friend. Her smile only broke when she heard a slam on her bench.

Chloe.

"What do you want?" She asked. Never raising her gaze for she knew that it was better to not show her eyes to anyone.

"Stupid Marinette Dupain Cheng. Adrikins is joining this class today. So, I will sit here. You can take your weird friend and your ugly face there. It's not like Adrien would want to be friends with such a weirdo anyway." Chloe laughed as Marinette held back a tear that threatened to fall from her green eye.

She took Alya's hand and sat quietly on the first bench.

"Girl, stop letting Chloe get to you. So what if you have different eye colours? It doesn't make you any more different from all of us. All it makes you is unique." Alya smiled at her best friend who smiled back again.

Marinette thanked her gods who gave her such a loving best friend.

She remembered the day as if it were yesterday.

It was her sixth birthday and she was looking out of the window at the people.

A blond-haired mother with her son who was twirling in the park.

The birds and the children, playing on the swings and slides.

She was looking at the blond mother and son duo when his emerald green eyes met hers.

And after that, all she remembered was a slight pain in her left eye. She rubbed and washed it and when she looked into the mirror, she was horrified.

Both of her eyes were of different colours. Her right eye was bluebell and her left had turned emerald green.

Her mom took her to the doctors and opticians but to no avail.

She just had to live with this.

She had to get used to.

All was good. She was being treated like a normal human being but all that ended the second Chloe entered her life.

Chloe had left no stone unturned to mock her. She had wasted no opportunity to make her feel down. To make her feel inferior.

Like she didn't belong.

Thanks to Alya and all her friends, she didn't feel so bad about her different eyes.

Her emerald green eye, however, was very familiar.

She knew she'd seen it somewhere. She just couldn't connect the dots.

She sighed as she sat on the desk and stared at the teacher aimlessly.

"I'm sorry." A blond boy, Adrien Agreste, son of her favourite designer Gabriel Agreste, entered the class and apologized at the teacher for being late.

She had a nostalgic feeling upon seeing him.

She brushed away the thought and concentrated on the blackboard.

She was in no mood to talk to the guy, for earlier, she had heard Alya speak that he had to be just like Chloe.

Speaking of which, the barbie doll was all over the guy. She actually felt a pint of pity for him but all that went out of the window when she saw him attach chewed gum on her seat.

She was pissed.

And to show that, she didn't even make eye contact with him.

He tried to explain but in vain.

*

"I was only trying to remove the chewing gum off your seat, I swear." He said.

"I've never been to school before. I've never had friends. It's all sorta new to me " He said.

She finally looked into his eyes.

"Wait" he gasped.

"Your eyes." He said, mouth agape.

She lowered her head again.

She knew he was just like Chloe.

She should have never trusted him.

Never looked at him.

To her surprise, he smiled.

She stared at his emerald green eyes.

He turned around and removed a contact lens from his eye to reveal a bluebell shade.

"You're... You're just like me!" She gasped.

"I couldn't model like this, so, I had to wear a contact lens."

Both of them stared at each other, a feeling of Deja vu overcoming both.

Neither realized that their eye colour reverted back to normal as they stood in the rain under the black umbrella.

Under the black umbrella.