Chapter 9

~Lilith's POV~

Today is the day of the challenges. All the participants are assembled in the dining hall. I look around and about 30 men are all seated. The doors are opened and the King walks in. Everybody, myself included, rises from their seat.

"Welcome challengers, take a seat." The King speaks. "Today is a special day, it is the day that you'll prove yourself to be worthy of the title Royal Guardsmen." He looks around the room. "Some of you have more experience than other, some of you already have been a part of the Royal Guard or are currently a member of the Royal Guard."

I look around the room and I indeed see a lot of former and current Royal Guardsmen sitting. I observe the current ones.

Which ones are the traitor?

"Your background won't matter anymore." The King continues. "But we will divide you in groups depending on your experience." That statement created some buzz, but it quickly dies down when the King continues. "These Knights next to me are retired, they will judge and train you. When your name is called stand up and follow their instructions."

A retired Knight steps forward. "Warren Arardens, John Burge...." The list continues and all the current members of the Royal Guard stand up. "My name is Sir Titton, follow me for your instructions."

The next knight steps forward and most of the former Royal Guardsmen stand up. This continues for a while until there's a small group of five people, myself included, left.

"My name is Sir Harren, please stand up if your name is called." He looks and sighs. "John Awter, William Crind, Robert Frund, Damon Merripen" I stand up. "and Christopher Protoage. Follow me."

We all follow Sir Harren who is mumbling to himself something along the lines of pathetic competitors and failures. We stop when we reach the trainings yard.

"Let us be honest." Sir Harren starts. "You don't stand a chance, you are the most inexperienced, untrained and dumbest participants. Despite this being a waste of time, I will judge you. Most of you don't know what being a Royal Guard contents. Those who are here because of the money, please raise your hand."

As expected, nobody raises their hand.

"I know which one of you lies." He looks at us one by one. "You and you." He points at two boys. "Get dressed, you will be duelling each other." The boys hurry off. He turns and scans the bodies of the remaining.

"You two." He points at the boys next to me. "Get dressed as well, you will also be duelling each other." He then looks at me. I feel my heart pounding in my chest as I look him in the eye.

"How are your stitched legs?" Sir Harran suddenly asks.

"They are fine Sir, and if I may ask." I look at him confused. He nods. "How did yo-"

"How I know, well I heard you talking with the doctor." He answers my question. "Very unfortunate, in these times."

"You could say that." I reply.

"Get dressed as well, you'll duel the winners." He states as the boys return.

I quickly get dressed in the dressing room and return. The four boys are duelling each other with a sword made out of wood which I carry as well. There are a few people sitting on the bleachers watching us. I observe the boys again. They are pretty inexperienced with holding a sword and they are barely able to defend themselves. I pity them, they will never make the cut. I look over to Sir Harren and his expression confirms my thoughts.

The four boys fall exhausted on the ground. One of them kind of won, since he was the last one standing.

"You four, you should be ashamed of yourself for even showing up to this place!" Sir Harren yells at the four boys.