Flowers and Skulls: Chapter 11 *edited*

It was finally Friday. Julie had had been patiently waiting all week for this day and now it was finally here. Today would be the day that she would finally get to go on a date with Roxy. Because of the fact that Roxy was grounded they were only able to talk a few times throughout the week. The more and more Julie talked to Roxy the more she began to like her. Julie wasn’t one for believing that falling in love should be fast, but she couldn’t help herself.

“Sweetie where are you going all dolled up like that?” Julie’s mother pried happily when Julie walked downstairs. She was dressed in a low cut satin blouse with a black skirt, black heels, a simple pair of silver earrings, and her makeup done in a natural way.

“You really think I look good mom?” Julie questioned shyly. She had thought for sure that her wardrobe was over the top.

“Of course sweetie. Your date is going to fall over when they see you,” Julie’s mother chuckled and walked over to the fridge.

“I hope so…so what are you doing tonight?” Julie asked. It was Friday and Julie expected her mother to be gone, but for some reason she was still here.

“Staying at home actually. You know I miss being at home on the weekends. It’s so relaxing,” Her mother smiled as she pulled a bottle of wine from out the fridge. Julie’s mother rarely drank and when she did it was usually just to relax.

“That’s really good mom. You need to stay home and relax,” Julie assured her.

“Yeah we all need to sometimes. So who’s this lucky date?” Her mother inquired.

“Just someone from school. Its nothing serious just a tiny date,” Julie elaborated.

“Well I hope you have a nice time sweetie,” Julie’s mother smiled then took a glass and the wine into the living room.

I hope she’s not late. Julie thought to herself. The thing that Julie hated the most was someone that was late for a date. When Julie took out her phone to check the time it was 7:58pm. Roxy was supposed to be at her house at 8pm. The plan was that Roxy would call and say that she was outside, seeing as though Julie didn’t know how her mother would react to her going on a date with a girl. They both hated the idea of doing this, but they knew it was best.

Suddenly Julie felt her phone buzz in her pocket and when she peered out the window she saw Roxy waiting for her in a sleek black car.

“Bye mom!” Julie squealed and before her mother could even respond she was out the door. Her date had begun.

“Um so where exactly are we going?” Julie asked with curiosity as she stared out the window at her surroundings. They were downtown and Julie had never been downtown before.

“This little café. I know people get tired of the whole movie then dinner thing. I know I do. You’re going to love this café. They have poetry readings, art, music, and everything,” Roxy explained with excitement as she made a turn and began to cruise down a strip that had little weird tiny shops. One of the shops was coffee colored and had “Café” written in fancy writing.

“I guess this is the place?” Julie assumed as Roxy pulled into a parking space.

“Indeed my dear,” Roxy assured her as she got out of the car and opened Julie’s door for her.

“So do all lesbians have as much shivery as you?” Julie questioned and batted her eyes. Julie had noticed that Roxy had a lot of manners when it came to the whole open doors and ladies first thing. When Julie had gotten into the car Roxy had even opened it for her. She loved being respected.

“Hmmm not sure really. I haven’t met every lesbian in the world,” Roxy joked then linked arms with Julie and walked her inside.

The inside of the café was unlike anything Julie had ever seen before. The theme of it was really relaxed and laid back, the lighting was dim and there was a delicious and strong aroma of coffee. The café had a tiny stage and currently there was a woman on stage singing in the most angelic voice that Julie had ever heard. She loved it here already.

 “I always love the smell of coffee at 8 o’clock at night,” Roxy stated as she inhaled deeply and walked Julie over to a table.

“So um what exactly do we do?” Julie inquired as she looked around nervously. She expected to be stared at because she was on a date with a girl, but when she looked around there was a variety of different couples. Gay couples, lesbian couples, interracial couples, and even straight couples. The diversity instantly calmed Julie’s nerves.

“Well in a second someone will probably be over to ask us if we want anything. After that we just chill and listen to great music and poetry,” Roxy clarified and smiled sweetly at Julie.

“Oh, cool…do you write poetry?” Julie pried. For some reason Julie thought that Roxy was the poetic type.

“I write a few things. I’ve never read on stage or in front of anyone before. Believe it or not I get shy in front of a lot of people,” Roxy admitted and slightly blushed.

“Awww that’s cute!” Julie squealed and kissed Roxy on the cheek.

“I finally get it! I get a kiss whenever I blush!” Roxy laughed.

“Hmmm, maybe,” Julie flirted. A few moments later a waitress walked up to them with a pad.

“Can I get you two lovely ladies anything?” The waitress asked.

“I’ll take a mocha Frappuccino with extra caffeine please,” Roxy ordered with a smile.

“And for you dear?” The waitress turned to Julie and asked.

“Umm do you have green tea?” Julie inquired nervously.

“Of course we do dear. So that’ll be a Frappuccino with extra energy and a mellow green tea?” The waitress restated and Roxy and Julie both laughed.

“Yes,” Roxy answered still laughing.

“It’ll be right out,” The waitress assured them then walked away. So far this date was great. Roxy was so respectful and she loved the relaxing and comforting vibe of this café.  This was the best date she had been on by far.