Chapter 18 - Willa

It took a minute before Joe finally answered, keeping the door barely open. "What are you doing here?"

Connor's suit was tight against his chest, showing the visible lines of his toned muscle that he had trained for years. His hair was nicely styled, gelled backwards perfectly, and his lips were as luscious and bold as Joe remembered.

Oh, how much he wanted to feel them in that moment. He wished he could lean in and connect his with Connor's, wanting to be entrapped into a trance of his warmth. But he couldn't let it happen that easily, not after being throw away and divorced as if he had been some piece of trash and had never meant anything. Joe had to look away to maintain his strong appearance, encouraging himself not to fall for any of Connor's tricks.

When Connor smiled, Joe was mesmerized by his bright white vibrant teeth that seemed to wink on their own, and it took a moment to remember that he was supposed to be angry instead of feeling his heart begin to race.

He narrowed his gaze. "I'm busy."

"I just need a second," Connor grinned amicably, sensing the hostility in Joe's demeanour. "I just thought I'd...check in and see how you were doing."

The last time they had spoken to one another was about two years ago, and ever since then, Joe had fallen into a heavy depression that he was still attempting to surface above. It was thanks to Jamie that he had any amount of cash in his pockets, which was another reminder that he should slam the door shut in his face.

But he didn't.

"It's been a while since I last saw you."

Without even realizing it, Joe's features softened and the door opened wider. He had missed hearing Connor's deep husky and charming voice, the way it sounded mysterious when they had been in bed together, and how breathy it was in the mornings. He had missed Connor and this moment was making him realize that he was not entirely over him.

Joe glanced to his feet, not wanting to admit that all he wanted to do was embrace him. Instead, keeping his eyes lowered and avoiding Connor's burning gaze, he repeated, "I'm busy."

"I know, I heard you," he chuckled, his eyes squinting the same way that Joe always thought was so adorable. "I just wanted to come by for a few and see how things were."

"Clearly they're fine," he murmured.

Connor tilted his head, taking a short step forward. With a couple fingers landing on the door, he asked, "You're not gonna let me come in?"

Joe wanted to, he was seconds from succumbing to his instincts and letting the door be pushed open, when his mind shouted at him that he was a divorcee because of Connor. "Do you need something?"

None of what he said changed Connor's behaviour, always as if he was on top of the world. "No, I don't need anything Joe." He paused for a few seconds, tilting his head to the side, knowing that it would make Joe even more nervous—it always did. "How are you and that young boy doing? Chris told me he's three years younger than you; don't think it's too young?"

There it was, the embarrassment. That was one thing he had hoped wasn't mentioned; Jamie. Joe had no idea how to answer such question, scratching the side of his neck. "I mean..."

Thank goodness Connor replied without waiting for an answer. "I'm just teasing you. You haven't changed," he laughed, leaning in towards Joe, "still so nervous around me even though we had been married for seven years."

Joe knew he was falling for it, he could feel it. His entire body was drawn forward, the only thing keeping him from pushing the door wide and pulling Connor inside, was a reminder that it wasn't his apartment. Because if it had been, Connor would definitely already be in his bedroom and he hated himself for realizing this, as if his entire happiness revolves around Connor wanting him or not.

"Maybe we could catch up sometimes."

He noticed Joe's eyes brightened and began glinting. His ears perked, as if he had heard the best news of his life. Breathlessly, he said, "Of course."

Even Connor was stunned, blinking for a few seconds before he beamed. "Alright." He hadn't expected Joe to accept that easily; even his cheeks became pink. "I'm glad. Can I have your number or is it the same as to it used to be?"

Rule #47: If you have a phone, the only contact you can have is mine.

A curse crossed Joe's mind. Jamie had kicked him out for adding Fred's number, angry beyond belief. Even though this time it could work, he was afraid of getting caught. The only excuse he could think of without revealing the truth behind Jamie was, "I don't have a phone, I broke it a while back and never got a new one."

Connor snorted. "I can tell when you're lying, but that's okay. I still know you inside out, Joey," he flirted, followed with a wink.

Joe thought his heart would explode if he met Connor's gaze once more. And as if Connor could see through those unbearable emotions, he gently placed his fingers on Joe's chin and slowly pushed upwards, to force them in meeting gaze. His other hand had pushed the door slightly to close the distance between them a bit more, and Joe felt as if he had falling into a complete different universe by simply staring into his eyes, floating above surface and time had completely stopped.

And Connor smirked charmingly, "I just wanted to see these green eyes before I left—"

"Take your hand off, now."

The evilness that invaded their atmosphere was enough to cause Joe to shudder, and the moment he glanced sideways, he wished he hadn't. Connor, not frightened at all, lowered his fingers and his face instantly became cold and blank, as if he had not expressed his desires to see Joe more often a minute ago. 

Jamie had been returning home from the argument with Craig, and since he was already angry, this scene did not make it any better. Even worse, Joe seemed to be all nervous but giddy from the visit and that was causing Jamie's stomach to twirl.

The coy smirk that lifting Connor's lips annoyed him even more. "Sure—my apologies, Mr..." Connor's eyes roamed to the black sneakers, then grey hood hiding the blond curls, "...Willa."

Instantly, when the name was said, it seemed to have elicited a familiarity nerve inside of Joe's head, who could not exactly pinpoint where he had heard that name before. However, the intensity between both of them was enough to brush it past his mind.

There seemed to be an odd message that happened between the two, since the moment Jamie heard that, his brows furrowed even more. "It's McGollony."

"I've done my digging, Jamie." He shrugged his shoulders and lifted his hands, as if he was retreating for the animosity. "I was just leaving. I'm not here to have an altercation."

With a wink, Connor glanced towards Joe one more time before humming a lullaby to himself and beginning to walk towards the elevator. He had to walk past Jamie to do so, and stopped right beside him. The tension between them was suffocating the air, and Connor leaned his lips near Jamie's ear to whisper, "He'll come back to me, I know he will."