11. They Want Me Out in the Maze

This chapter is dedicated to GreenCrystal69 for her story 'The girls of the Glade'

---------------------

I feel wind blowing through my hair, as I open my eyes. My head is on the side, so all I can see is that I'm moving forward. But I am still horizontal. What? How is that even possible?

I look up to see Newt looking ahead, carrying me towards the Homestead.

A blush blossoms within my cheeks. Oh, that's how.

His face is serious, his jaw set like stone. I reach up a hand and touch his face, causing him to nearly drop me in shock. "Why do you look so serious, Mr. Grumpy" I laugh.

He shifts his hands to get a better grip, holding one hand underneath my knees, and the other below my neck.
"And you're awake" he states.

"I believe so" I laugh. I feel a sudden sadness wash over me, as I remember what happened before I fell asleep. Another memory. I wonder if Thomas somehow sent me that memory like he did with the last one. But what if these memories, aren't even real memories. He could have created them. I have a sudden fatigue draped over my body.

I feel myself grow faint, and my eyes begin to grow heavy.

"Lori?" I hear Newt mumble, as if I'm below a water surface, and he's talking from above. "Lori, are you alright?"

Then, without warning, the water cleared. "What? Yeah, I- I'm fine" I mumble. "Can you uh, put me down?"

He laughed humorlessly, "You just looked like you were going to bloody pass out, and you think I'm going let you walk on your own?"

"Kinda, yeah" I shrug. He just shakes his head and continues to walk. I groan and fling my head back, causing Newt to stumble.
"So why are you carrying me?"

"Because you slept there all night, and the doors are opening soon. The Runners will be stampeding out there any bloody minute. Plus, the new Greenie will be arriving later."

"So you didn't want me to get crushed?" I smiled.

"I didn't want the Runners to trip over you" He mutters, colour rises in his cheeks.

I nod my head, humming to myself as I swing my legs slightly.
We arrive in the Homestead, and he carries me up the stairs, walking into Minho's room. Once we are in the room, I attempt to stand, but Newt does not allow it. He walks over to the bed and lays me down on it.

"You should get some rest in an actual bed before the new Greenie gets here. We get supplies, so the other Medjacks will need your help taking them back to the hospital rooms" He says, no emotion on his face.

As he goes to leave, I call out for him to wait. I pat the bed beside me, and he cautiously makes his way over before sitting down. "I just want to say, that I'm really sorry" Before I continue, I see he is about to talk, so I hold my hand up in front of his face. "Please, just let me finish. I have been a total shuckface ever since I got here, and I'm sorry for that. I really don't want you all to hate me. The Glade is a small place, and I just- I don't want to be that person" I say fast enough that he can't interrupt me.

I see a small smile curve his lips as he looks me in the eyes, "No one hates you. Especially me" He says. My eyes go a little wide, and he notices.
"I mean, that, I don't want you to think I hate you, because I don't. I've just had a bit of a rough time in the Glade, and, I don't know. I guess I kind of took it out on you, because you were the closest target" Newt says as his smile droops into a frown.
"It should be me apologizing."

I can't help the grin that plasters itself onto my face "Why don't we just say we're both sorry and leave it at that."
He doesn't hate me, I smile to myself.