"You must be Beca, it's so nice to meet you honey", Elizabeth Beale immediately held out her hand as she walked forward to greet Beca into her home.

Beca froze for a second, never meeting parents before, trying to avoid the investigative gaze coming from the taller and older gentleman that slowly followed his wife. She shook the women's hand and straight away noticed the similarities between mother and daughter, Chloe was the spitting image of her mother and Beca smiled. "It's nice to meet you Mrs Beale"

"Oh stop with all of that formal nonsense", the older woman flicked her hand over the shoulder, "It will be Liz or Beth, your choice", she winked, causing Beca to smile and feel more relaxed.

The taller man stepped forward more this time and held out his own hand, staring down at the brunette who gulped nervously as she felt a shift of tension in the air. "Beca... what was your last name again?"

"Mitchell, sir", she shook his hand, feeling the tight grip from the man before he pulled away and looked her up and down, clearly not impressed. "Chloe's uh.. Helping me with school"

"Beca is Tom's sister and she plays on the soccer team that's why she's only just got here", Chloe stepped forward, trying to clear the awkwardness in the air that she was sensing.

"Wow, a very athletic family", Liz beamed her smile again as she moved to stand next to her husband, taking her hand in his and rubbing her thumb across the back of his hand.

"Tell me Mitchell, your brother has a clean police record, an outstanding school report and is potentially being scouted to a top college", Beca sighed discreetly at the mention of her brother, not wanting to talk about him since he had been avoiding her recently. "What would your record say if I searched for your file tomorrow morning at the station?", Scott Beale let go of his wife's hand, crossing his arms as he watched Beca squirm a little while putting her hands in her pockets.

"Nothing as perfect as my brother's I'm sure", she gritted her teeth and slightly glared back at the older man, not appreciating the cold welcome she was getting from the man, especially seeing as he knew nothing about her and was already judging.

"I guess we'll find out soon enough", he scowled once more before walking off into another room that Beca guessed was the kitchen from the quick glimpse she got of plates and mugs stacked in cupboards.

Liz rolled her eyes, another feature that Beca noticed her daughter must have inherited from her Mom, "Don't worry about him, honey", she winked and stepped forward to hold Beca's hand. "I'll sort him out, you two go and study", she smiled and squeezed Beca's hand again before walking off to find Scott.

Beca sighed once more this time out of frustration as she followed Chloe up the staircase and along the top hallway. "Well, that couldn't have gone any worse", she thought while letting her eyes gaze over the hung pictures of the family from years ago, Chloe only young and no more than five years old Beca guessed in the pictures. "So, your Dad hates me", she smirked as they reached Chloe's bedroom, she pushed the door closed and watched Chloe turn round with a small smile.

"He doesn't hate you", she rolled her eyes before sitting down on her double bed, notebooks and flashcards scattered across the duvet. "He's just very..."

"Judgemental?"

"Protective", Chloe snapped back, watching Beca smirk this time and walk over to sit down in an empty space on her bed. "He'll come around soon", she looked over the flashcards in front of her before moving to find her notes.

"Not once he sees my police record", the brunette placed her arms behind her head, leaning back against Chloe's headboard as she looked up to the ceiling of the room. "He'll probably ban you from ever talking to me again", she smirked, thinking to herself about what he would find.