4.7

"Hey Peter, it's me again." I sighed softly, "Just wanted to hear your voice. Things are different at the compound. We're still all adjusting. Um, I don't know how to do this without you. And I mean hold myself together and pretend everything is fine. I miss you." I sobbed.

It's been a week and all of us were still getting used to all the empty space. I called my boyfriends phone everyday, multiple times a day because hearing his voicemail brought me a small sense of comfort. I lost everything. My parents, my brother and now people in my family.

Peter and my friends didn't answer any calls or texts, Tony was somewhere where we couldn't find and the ones that survived, all walked around with their brains on auto pilot. We were all lost.

I was becoming accustomed to feeling numb. I hardly ate because I wasn't hungry and the only time I slept was when my body passed out from exhaustion. If it wasn't for Natasha and Pepper, I think I would have died by now. They've been taking care of me, we've all been taking care of each other.

"I brought you some lunch." Natasha quietly entered my room, balancing a food tray with various food items plated on.

"I'm not hungry." I mumbled staring off into space.

"You should eat something. You're starving yourself, y/n. I know you're hurting, we all are, but Peter wouldn't want you to deprive yourself of food."

I released a breath through my nose, sitting up on my bed, pushing the stray stands away from my eyes. Natasha set the food tray in my lap, smiling softly at me when I hesitantly took my first bite.

"I miss Jason. He was so small and innocent, too good for the world." My bottom lip quivered, "Why him? Why did he have to go? Why not me? I've lived my life, he was just getting started!"

"Honey.." Nat reached over and squeezed my hand, "Come here."

I turned my body into her open arms, crying my heart out. I would gladly change places with Jason. He didn't deserve to get dusted. Why couldn't it have been me instead? Natasha rubbed my back softly, letting me cry it all out.

[...]

"Let's go again." Nat panted pushing a few strands of hair away from her eyes.

"Can we take a break?"

"We need to get this down y/n." Nat said firmly.

I huffed, "We've been training all day! I don't even need to learn any of this! I'm not a super hero or some side kick!"

Natasha clenched her jaw, clearly trying not to go off on me. She took a deep breath and my lips pulled down into a frown.

"I know you don't have powers, but we're all on edge here. It makes me feel better to know that you have some knowledge of how to defend yourself."

I let out a sigh of my own, grabbing my water bottle to quench my thirst.

"Here." The ginger called out softly. I glanced at her, watching her take off the small silver bracelet that adorned her wrist.

Natasha grabbed my arm and wrapped the jewelry around my wrist, closing the clasp.

"I know it's not much, but it's just a reminder that I'm here for you. We all are."

My eyes focused on the widow charm dangling from the chain.

"It's beautiful. Thank you." I got up and hugged Natasha, something she let me do. Over time the woman and I have shared stories from our past. She told me about the red room and how she came to be an Avenger. Natasha really was one of the ones I would say defined who I am today, she really would be one of the ones I would miss if something happened to her.

"We're going to find a way to get Peter back. I promise." Tasha mumbled softly.

I knew they were going to try to get everyone back until they exhausted every last one on of their options.

"So, ready for go again?" I cleared my throat pulling back from the hug.

Nat smiled softly, nodding as we both got into our fighting stance to spar.

-

I apologize for the last few chapters being so short 😅

Hope you're all still enjoying the story so far :)

❤️❤️❤️