1.2

I groaned softly as the abrupt sounds of yelling interrupted my dream of being trampled by little puppies. Fluttering my eyes open slowly the sunlight streamed in softly and my phone told me it was only nine in the morning. I huffed under my breath before I sneezed into my arm. God I hope I wasn't getting sick. They yelling seemed to only get louder as I cracked my door open.

"You don't pay your rent by tomorrow then I'm kicking you out, Jenna!" The owner of the apartment spat.

"I told you I'd get you the money, Kevin! Get off my ass about it!" My mother grumbled as she rubbed her temples.

"You've said that the last few times and you always pay late!" Kevin sighed in frustration.

"At least I pay don't I?! I got a kid to take care of and I work shitty hours."

Kevin sighed once more as his broad shoulders slumped and he shook his head, "Yeah, you take care of your kid really well."

"Fuck you, bastard!" My mother growled.

"Rent. Tomorrow. If you don't pay it then I'm going to have to kick you out, Jenna. I'm sorry. Have a good day."

Kevin left quickly after and my mom slammed the door, huffing and puffing as she pulled at the ends of her hair.

I decided to make myself known, my door creaking as I pushed it further open.

"Is everything okay, mom?" I asked softly.

My mom rolled her eyes, "Fucking Kevin is all."

I hummed, "What did he want?"

"Nothing important." My mother mumbled as she plopped down onto the couch and blindly reached for a day old beer on the floor. I grimaced when she chugged it down in two gulps.

"I have to work later so I won't be home till late tonight." I said when I remembered I had a shift as the small coffee shop downtown.

"Whatever." My birth giver grumbled as she leaned forward and started scraping together a line of cocaine with her credit card.

I scratched the back of my neck as I awkwardly shuffled on my feet, "Do you have to work this weekend?"

"FUCK!" My mother yelled as she sniffed the line up and grabbed her purse and shoes and running around trying to get her work uniform on. My mother ran out of the apartment, shutting the door only for it to bounce back open again and I shook my head sadly.

It was only a matter of time before she was fired from her job and then I'd be the only one supporting us. That is if I decided to live with her any longer. But then where would she go? Out on the streets most likely and I didn't want that for her. I tried to convince myself that deep down there was still a good part of my mother still in there, the old her was still there. But every time she snorted a line, the more I saw her disappear and depend on the drugs.

I decided to take my mind off things by cleaning up around the apartment. It was disgusting and just because she chose to keep things like this, didn't mean I had to. I started in the kitchen and made my way around.

[...]

"Hey, y/n." Kevin smiled as I walked into the lobby.

"Hey, Kev." I smiled back and we did our little handshake. Kevin new about my situation and was always there for me considering I didn't talk to my friends at school about anything. I didn't want them to make fun of me or feel bad for me.