31

It was early in the morning the next day and Gracie, Hyunin, and Felix all spent the night in their chairs in the hospital room. Hyunjin never once let go of Seungmin's hand. The room was silent aside from the beeping of the heart monitors The accelerated healing of Connor's lungs had been finished so his ventilator was removed while he was asleep. Hyunjin, Gracie and Felix were starting to stir while the two bedridden males had yet to wake up. 

"Dang, the doctors were not kidding when they said they would be out for a while." Felix says quietly.

Gracie responds. "With what they've been through they need the rest."

As Gracie and Felix are talking to each other Hyunjin feels a slight squeeze on his hand and sees Seungmin beginning to stir.

"Guys, hush, I think he's waking up." Hyunjin says from across the room.

Seungmin's eyes begin to flutter open weakly. Once they were fully open his eyes land on Hyunjin smiling down at him and fear begins to course through his body. Seungmin yanks his hand from Hyunjin's and curls up in a defensive position as he begins to cry and yell.

"Please! Please don't hurt me! I'll be a good boy, I won't be bad. Please no more!"

"Seungmin, it's me Hyunjin. Nobody is going to hurt you." Hyunjin starts to reach out towards Seungmin but Seungmin screams and slaps his hand away. 

Hyunjin steps back in shock, not able to believe what he is hearing.

"You're not Hyunjin! No fire, you're not him!"

Gracie and Felix are stunned, unable to move with the situation unfolding in front of them. Hearing Seungmin's screams Connor jolts awake his eyes glowing intensely as he breathes heavily ready for a fight.

Tears begin to well up in Hyunjin's eyes "Seungmin, it's me." He chokes on his words. "We rescued you, nobody is going to hurt you."

"Don't lie to me! Nobody is rescuing me, I'm not worth it. You're not Hyunjin. You didn't use fire!"

Connor takes in the situation around him. Seungmin's words and his fear, Gracie and Felix's stunned silence, and Hyunjin's tears. Suddenly he remembers the Kitsune and everything makes sense.

"Hyunjin." Connor's voice is weak and raspy. "Ignite your hands."

"What?"

"He was imprisoned by a Kitsune that tortured him under your appearance. You have to prove that you are really you."

Hyunjin's eyes flash a fiery orange and his hands ignite in flame.

"It's me Seungmin. I'm here, you're safe."

Seungmin stares at the fire and more tears begin to fall down his face.

Hyunjin's flames go out and Seungmin wraps himself around the older male.

"Is it really you?"

Hyunjin wraps his arms around Seungmin returning his embrace. "Yes, I'm here, you are completely safe."

Seungmin's cries calm down and he looks around the room seeing Felix and Gracie by a bed on the other side of him. He freezes when he sees the bed's occupant. He eyes Connor and flashes back to seeing him and Hyunjin by the river, and tears begin to fill his eyes again. He clutches tightly to Hyunjin and makes a broken plea to the Celestial next to him.

"Please don't take him from me."

Connor looks at Seungmin confused, but he doesn't have time to say anything when the doctors walk into the room.

"We just got the alert that they are awake, I'm afraid we are going to have to ask you three to leave so we can run some tests."

Hyunjin starts to stand up to leave but Seungmin grabs on to him not wanting him to go.

"It's okay Seungmin, I'll be right outside. These people won't hurt you."

Seungmin locks eyes with Hyunjin and lets him go as the three heirs exit the room. 

The doctors finish their tests but direct the three waiting outside that they must continue to wait until the results come in before they can see them again. Inside the room, Seungmin and Connor sit in silence until Connor speaks up.

"What did you mean when you asked me not to take him from you?"

Seungmin speaks quietly. "I saw you two by the river. I saw you say I love you. Jaemin told me you liked Hyunjin."

Connor immediately understands, and Jaemin's name fills him with anger. "Seungmin, you've got it all wrong. Yes, I did like Hyunjin, but he only has eyes for you. When we said I love you, we meant it in a brotherly way. I'm not going to take him. He loves you Seungmin."

Seungmin looks over at Connor a mixture of fear, sadness, and what seemed like hope in his eyes. "He... loves me?"

Connor laid back in his bed resting his hands behind his head as he stared at the ceiling a smile growing on his face.

"With every fiber of his being."