26

Hyunjin and Connor had stayed up all night making plans for the search and rescue operation. Neither of them were tired at all; their adrenaline and determination had been keeping them energized. They had planned for all of the heirs to meet at the council tower at 6:00 AM and it was currently 5:45. People would be arriving soon. Connor was intensely scanning a map of the city, finalizing the search regions, while Hyunjin was organizing how teams would be split up to cover more ground. The opening of the council chamber door drew the two males out of their thoughts.

"First ones to arrive huh. Now you can't get on to me for being slow ever again" Gracie chides Brandi as they walk in.

"We have more important things to deal with right now." Brandi shoots back.

"Trust me, I know."

The two girls meet eyes with the boys and a silent exchange went between the four.

"Whatever you guys need, we're ready."

Hyunjin gives a weak smile. "Thanks guys."

Felix is the next one to arrive, followed by Jisung and Minho. Chan and Jeongin walk in shortly after them along with Woojin, Changbin, and Brittney. Connor speaks up after their entrance.

"Alright. Hyunjin, lock the door please."

Hyunjin moves to lock the door as Felix speaks up.

"Wait, what about Rachel and Jaemin? They are traveling here together.

"They'll be here shortly but they are not to be included in what you all are about to hear."

There is an intense authority to Connor's voice, the same one the group heard at the funeral.

"We were informed by Councilman Hwang last night that we have reason to believe the Council has been compromised and one member is a traitor feeding information to the PHLF. For that reason, Hyunjin and I have decided that we will be carrying out a closed-loop operation. All plans we discuss are on a need to know basis and this information is not to be shared with anyone without the explicit permission of Hyunjin or I. Not even the Council. Most specifically, Councilwoman Smithan."

Brandi's eyes widen. "What does my mom have to do with this?"

"Something about her behavior last night was off. She seemed far too eager to get the Council to relinquish power, and she was visibly distressed when Jisung, Changbin, and I stopped those proceedings. It is only a suspicion, but I am not taking any chances with this. Not with Seungmin hanging in the balance."

Hyunjin speaks up after Connor.

"This is also the reason Jaemin and Rachel are not to be included in the in-depth plans as well. Eyewitness reports state that Jaemin along with another male were the last people seen with Seungmin before his abduction. Rachel is not suspected, but due to her recent close ties to Jaemin she cannot be trusted to keep this information from him."

Woojin speaks up. "Don't you think you're being a little paranoid? Jaemin saved Felix's life. Why would he be involved in Seungmin's abduction?"

Hyunjin responds quickly. "Yes he did, and why would he do that so suddenly? Never once had he shown any interest in Felix or Rachel. It's very out of character, along with his recent change of attitude." 

Brittney speaks up this time. "Can't people change?"

"Not him." Everyone's eyes turn to Connor.

"I know Jaemin, he's not good-hearted, he doesn't know the meaning of the word. Everything he does is done with a motive behind it. Something he will gain."

Changbin speaks this time. "And how would you know this?"

"Because I've experienced it first hand." Connor pauses gathering his thoughts. "When we were younger, Jaemin and I were friends, well, I thought we were at least. When I was younger I didn't have full control of my abilities, I'd randomly make things float across a room, I'd teleport out of control. I even sent my gym teacher into zero gravity and couldn't bring him back down."

The rest of the group looks at Connor not able to picture the clumsy child as the same person standing before them now.

"I was bullied often because of it. One day Jaemin saved me from the bullies. We started to get closer after that. One day I revealed to him a secret I had not told anybody. From that day forward I became his personal toy. He would beat me up, subject me to his pain infliction that he had already learned to use. He used the secret as blackmail to keep me from telling anyone." Connor takes a shy glance at Hyunjin before continuing again. "I couldn't do anything until I had my powers under control and could defend myself. Once I did, he left me alone and didn't say anything about the secret. Now our relationship is as you see it today. Jaemin is nothing but evil, don't let him fool you into thinking otherwise. We don't have proof he was involved with Seungmin's abduction, but him being the last person to see him is highly unsettling."

The entire room stands in silence at Connor's story until Hyunjin speaks up.

"All of this will stay between us. If you wish to discuss our efforts with anyone outside of this room currently you will take it up with Connor or myself before proceeding. Is that understood?"

The entire room nods their heads. Hyunjin nods back before unlocking the door. Shortly after, Jaemin and Rachel enter.

"Sorry, we're late, lots of traffic." Rachel has an embarrassed look on her face while Jaemin remains silent.

"You're fine. Hyunjin responds. Let's begin splitting up into teams and assigning search areas. Everyone be prepared to take your team assignments and leave immediately."

Hyunuin looks around the room taking in the determined looks on everyone's faces.

"The first team will be Connor and I. We will be covering the central city surrounding the council tower. Chan and Jeongin will cover the southern forests. Jisung and Minho will cover the northern farmlands. Brandi and Brittney will cover the eastern suburbs. Changbin and Woojin will cover the western suburbs along the river. Jaemin and Rachel will take the university district. Gracie and Felix will be in the old warehouse district."

The groups take their maps of their search areas and begin to exit. On the way out Connor stops Felix as he is leaving with Gracie.

"How are you feeling after last night?"

"I'm okay I guess, a lot is happening."

"Try not to focus on the change, focus on finding Seungmin. We will find him."

"I know, I'm just worried about what comes next."

"Focus on the here and now." Connor places his hand on Felix's shoulder. "Burn the next bridge when you come to it."

Felix looks up at him, studying his face, he sees doesn't know how he and Hyunjin have kept going on for so long, but he found it admirable.

"Hyunjin and I are heading out, good luck to you and Gracie on your search."

"You as well."