17

Taehyung looked at Jungkook. He focused on his facial features first; large brown eyes, prominent  eyebrows and a tiny scar on his left cheek. He counted the small moles in random places on Jungkook's face, traced the man's sharp jawline with his eyes. The puppy's eyes trailed to the man's ears, immediately catching sight of the gold hoop earrings in his lobes. He was handsome, much like the other creatures surrounding the hybrid.

Jungkook stood further back than the rest, as though he wasn't a part of what was going on. The ravenette hadn't meant to put himself so far from his hyungs and Taehyung; he just wasn't sure what to do.

He wished he had Jimin's ability to calm the puppy. Wished he made himself home right next to Taehyung like the older hybrid had. But he couldn't. Taehyung was precious. The hybrid was tiny and adorable, Jungkook was massive in comparison. The vampire was terrified of breaking such a small being so he stood away.

It was a new experience for him -seeing someone so fragile and young. Taehyung was someone that he and his elders would be taking care of, helping and loving.

Jungkook was the youngest. For around a hundred years, he'd been the nest's baby. He was used to his hyungs doting on him as the youngest, it was completely normal for them to coddle him. But he didn't resent Taehyung for replacing him as the youngest, in fact, Jungkook was excited to have someone younger than him. Jungkook couldn't wait to experience being someone's hyung, couldn't wait to have someone look up to him the way he looks up to his hyungs. He couldn't help but want to protect and baby Taehyung either, the hybrid was just so adorable.

But what if he was bad at being a hyung? What was he supposed to say to the hybrid? What if he made everything worse? What if he said the wrong thing and Taehyung hated him? What if he hurt the baby?

Those thoughts made him step back from the rest of his hyungs when they comforted Taehyung during his panic. He'd done enough already, scaring the poor pup, he didn't want to cause more problems by trying to help. Even when he'd gestured for Jimin to help the hybrid, he second guessed himself.

Taehyung watched as the man fiddled with his fingers and played with his hair avoiding eye contact with the hybrid. Taehyung didn't like that, he wanted the man to see him.

The pup whined to get his attention.

It seemed to startle Jungkook as his head shot up from looking down. Taehyung smiled, his pointy teeth on display and his eyes disappearing. He was okay now and just wanted to meet everybody.

"Come here Kook, sit down."

Yoongi called and Jungkook shyly shuffled over. The werewolf moved away from Taehyung, leaving enough room for Jungkook to sit beside the both of them.

"Good boy."

Yoongi said softly once Jungkook was seated. The werewolf knew he was nervous based on the previous maknae's actions alone -but he was also aware that the fledgeling had been worried about meeting the hybrid before now. Jungkook often confided in the werewolf, finding comfort in him.

"You s-smell nice."

Jungkook stuttered awkwardly, attempting to make conversation with the small creature next to him. Though, he really did enjoy the hybrid's scent; a combination of baby powder and violets. The scent was a perfect match for the little pup. The puppy smiled at Jungkook; he liked the man's scent too.

Taehyung liked to be complimented, it made him feel all nice and fuzzy and had his tail wagging. The kind words of those at the sanctuary and now his new family, reminded him he wasn't alone anymore. Taehyung was no longer the punching bag of his father, both physically and emotionally scarred by a man whose sole job as a parent was to protect and love him. No, when Taehyung was treated with kindness he felt safe, loved, happy. And that's all he'd ever wanted to be.

"Cute"

Jungkook had uttered the words before he could stop himself. The vampire's eyes widened in shock and his hand reached up to stop his mouth from spewing anymore thoughts.

This time, Taehyung's cheeks flushed pink and he smiled shyly. Beside him, Jimin's light airy giggles; Seokjin's unique laughter; Yoongi's almost silent chuckle; Hoseok's happy cackles.

"Ok darlings, why don't you tell Taehyung what you are."

Seokjin spoke once the laughter had quietened down.

"I'm a vampire like Jin-Hyung and Hobi-Hyung."

Taehyung smiled at Jungkook's response. He didn't really know what it meant to be a vampire other than they had to drink something special to stay healthy. But, he'd liked every single vampire he'd met so far.

The puppy turned to Jimin, the blonde wolf who'd calmed him down.

"I'm a wolf hybrid."

~it's easy for someone to joke about scars if they've never been cut- william shakespeare, romeo and juliet~