2

The pink-haired boy sat silently in the stilled car. He'd been sat in the moving car for around an hour listening to sombre songs on the radio, no words being spoken. He'd just daydreamed the drive away, completely and utterly silent. The only movements made were the small rise and fall of his frail chest as he continued to breathe, though even that was completely drowned in the fabric of his oversized sweater, his hand stroked the fur of the small kitten in his arms therapeutically as it purred and slept.

They'd stopped in front of a large house , his new home, around ten minutes ago but now the hybrid was just wasting time before he officially started his new, better life. 

He cuddled into the kitten's soft fur, the mixture of oranges, whites and blacks fading into one. The kitten's colours earned it the name Tiger, one that the puppy had picked himself. The rare times that the young boy did speak, he spoke singular words. When surprised with the twelve-week old cat, the word "tiger" had erupted from his lips and so became its name.  

Huffing softly, he uncurled his body from around the kitten, lifting up his pale, thin arm. He twisted his arm until the scars there became more visible, the sleeve of his sweater having fallen further down. He looked at the small reminder of his past as an abused hybrid.

The abuse of hybrids wasn't common. Apart from the few who were used as baby-making machines (those facilities were heavily sought out and the members prosecuted to the full extent of the law) , hybrids were respected, loved and cherished among both humans and other supernatural creatures alike. Nobody hurt the hybrids, they were far too few in number and far too delicate to harm. Systems were in place to prevent the mistreatment of hybrids in society; schools had anti-bullying schemes, busses had special buttons that hybrids or other vulnerable creatures could press for help. People used special codes for when a hybrid felt threatened in a public place; there was no way a hybrid could be in distress without someone knowing.

Unless the said hybrid had been hidden from the outside world for all its life by his sole guardian. Unless the abuser was the hybrid's father... unless the hybrid's name was Taehyung.

"Ok. Let's get you moved in, shall we?" a voice startled Taehyung and he flinched hard, body curling around the kitten in an attempt to protect both it and himself. His ears were pinned to his head and his tail wrapped around him.

After calming his panicked breathing and unfolding himself, both the small hybrid in the back and the taller, blonde human opened the car doors. Taehyung paused for a moment to adjust his clothing so that his fluffy white tail could be comfortable and his sleeves were long enough to cover his small, cold hands.

 The white building in front of the pastel-haired boy left him in wonder. He had seen the exterior of his new home many times, through pictures the brunette beside him had shown  -though the view in front of the tiny boy did the mansion-like home no justice.

Two flower pots rested on either side of the entrance, shaped green bushes rising from the soil.  The house was surrounded by forest, large vibrant green trees stretching for at least a mile in each direction. There were no neighbouring homes in sight, though, perhaps that was the best thing about it. It was a grand build, large windows on the walls and light pouring both in and out of the home.

The hybrid imagined that at night, looking out of those windows, you could see every star in the galaxy.

A light breeze ruffled the boy's light pink hair and white ears and he clutched the kitten closer to him to escape the cold chill that ran down his spine.

"Pretty isn't it Tae-ah, come on let's get you and Tiger inside." the deep voice from beside him stated.

Taehyung and the human, also known as Hyunjin, made their way to the front door steadily. The human kept glancing at the hybrid with each step, making sure he didn't freak out. The hybrid however, wasn't focused on anything but the kitten in his arms and the scents filling his nostrils as they both approached the house.

The hybrid recognised the six scents, after all, he had worn each item of clothing his new housemates had sent him so he could adjust to the move easier.

Hybrids have very sensitive senses and being a puppy hybrid, his sense of smell was excellent. This however comes as a blessing and a curse. Taehyung doesn't do too well with many different scents at the same time, it confuses him and he goes straight into a panic mode. Before the idea of getting used to his housemates scents was presented to him and his caretakers at the sanctuary, it was the main reason for the apprehension about him being able to leave.

The smell got stronger the closer the two got to the door before eventually, the hybrid was enveloped in the scents. He knew none of the people he would be meeting were human, however he couldn't place the scents to any creature due to never being in contact with them.

Beside him, Hyunjin gave smiled in Taehyung's direction before knocking on the door softly.

"Okay Taehyung, you're meeting them one at a time. Tiger is going to stay with you the entire time and I'm not leaving until you're settled and comfortable."

Taehyung nodded in response, his gazed fixed on the floor and the door opened.