Chapter 18: The resident Knight of Fort St Angelo

Flashback several years ago

Malta, Valletta

Raffaele pov

Raffaele Fransicso looked over at Leslie knew what he was about to do was right. Yes he was a Knight who stood guard over the archives at Fort St Angelo. There was rebellion going within the ranks of his Sovereign Military Order of Malta. She was the future of the Knights of Malta that was certain. But what was more important was the Papal request.

Crista strolled over to Raffaele standing at the window looking out of their townhouse. She saw the look on his face, and he had to make a decision. He had always been loyal to the Order after he looked after Fort st Angelo.

Crista said" what are you going to do"

Raffaele said"I'm not going to hand the Papal request over to Grand Master Kenton no matter what happens"

Crista saw the fear in his eyes knowing that he was afraid for life. But he was professed Knight, he certain secrets of the Order that Victor wanted to know. He looked over at Crist then at Leslie and then at the letter. It was not time to give her she was still a child. The time would come she look and he knew she would.

Just then there was a knock on the door he grabbed the door as he opened it for Sir Aflano Gateno. He strolled in and saw Leslie saying"Don't worry Raffaele I spoke with Grand Master Milano he promised to look after her and watched over her. Raffaele nodded understanding that she would safe with anything happened to you

Raffaele said" take the letter someplace secret and safe for now, she is our future for the Sovereign Military Order of Malta"

Sir Aflano said" I will do that what are you going to do"

Raffaele said nothing for a while as he thought about his daughter he walked over to her and bend on his knees then said"Sweetie in the future you understand what I did for you when the time comes you will know what to do I love you"

Sir Aflano heard footsteps fast approaching near the door and saw Victor and three of his three Knights behind him. The look on his face was brutally cold and vacant. He motioned for his knights to search the place for the documents and the letter.

Raffaele said"Victor what are you doing here this my house"

GrandMaster Kentonsaid"I'm here for the Papal request Raffaele its time for a new GrandMaster Not Milano"

Raffaele said"It's not here Victor leave now"

GrandMaster Kenton said"You're loyal to the Order but not to the Knights of the Hospitallers, your are traitor to the Order"

Raffaele said"No I'm Not Victor I just believe in the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, not in some ancient sect of yours that's what civil war within the ranks. I'm sure GrandMaster Milano wouldn't to be happy with that your what you're doing"

GrandMaster Kenton said"I will find the Papal request and when I do you will pay for betraying the Hospitallers Raffaele I promise you"

Crista strolled over to GrandMaster Kenton and slapped him across his face saying"Leave now or we'll go to Rome to see GrandMaster Milano about this matter"

GrandMaster Kenton grabbed her as he threw to the ground and then said"How dare you threaten me the GrandMaster of the Knights of the Hospitallers"

Raffaele sprinted out of his townhouse heading toward the National Library of Malta he knew what he had to do now either way GrandMaster Kenton was not going to get the Papal request either if his life depended on it. He would not betray the Order because one of the GrandMasters wanted a rebellion but not the Order of Malta.

He ventured through a tunnel leading to the front entrance of the library steps, he quickly made his up the steps grabbing the two big old fashioned wooden doors as he entered into a marble floor lobby. Then he strolled up some steps into the library.

He walked into the library looking around for Papal request, he knew it where was. As long it was here it would be safe from Victor and his Knights. He strolled over to the papal request in the display glass case as he looked it.

Victor and his Knights left the Francisco townhouse as they made way their way over to the National Library. They sauntered through the tunnel and ventured the steps to the wooden front doors. One of the Knights grabbed the door for him, he walked as he went up steps.

The Knights strolled in behind him closing the doors. Victor knew he was getting to the Papal request. It was only a matter time of now he told himself. Then there would be a new era of GrandMaster. That would be him.

Sir Aflano splinted after Victor knowing that Knights were going to kill Raffaele after they got it. He couldn't let that happen no matter. He strolled the tunnel and walked up the steps to the front doors of the library seeing Victor and his Knights.

Victor said"Find me, Raffaele, now"

The Knights ventured into the library as they spotted him looking at something, they quickly made their way over to him.

Raffaele turned around seeing the knights. Victor sauntered over to him. There it was the Papal request the two documents that would bring a new Order to the Sovereign Military of Order of Malta and new Grand Master himself. Milano's regime as the GrandMaster would come to an end.

Victor said"So Raffaele you knew it was along and betrayed me and the Hospitallers, take him outside and kill him now"

Sir Aflano splinted grabbing his sword out of the sheath and lunged at one of the Knights. Victor saw him coming toward and ordered one of his Knights to stop him. The Knight brought the shield and with one hard push knocked Sir Aflano to the ground.

The Knights grabbed Raffaele as they led out of the library and down the steps. Then They ventured out through the doors and strolled outside. One of the Knights withdrew his knife and stabbed Raffaele in the heart as he fell to the ground.