chapter 1

The soft snaps sounded across the empty space I found. Little skaters glided down the ice trying to gain possession of the puck as I snapped pictures for their families. The pee-wee teams were always a fun day to come and shoot pictures. My dad knows the athletic director for the pee-wee hockey division here around town and got me the gig of taking pictures.

When I woke up I was super limited on what my parents and my doctor would allow me to do. I found my mom's old camera from her teen years in one of the boxes in the garage. At first, she freaked out because I was going through the boxes, but when she saw the pictures I took of the sunset she stopped her freak out. It took a while, but soon my parents let me wander the town to take pictures as I saw fit. My mom used to take nature pictures. I found most of my footage was of real people. People in movement. I guess I gravitated towards them because I couldn't move much after the accident.

The accident took too much of my life from me. I woke up confused. I woke up cold. I woke up not knowing. I woke up alone in a world that already knew me for 19 years. How was I suppose to move on from that? How could I not wonder what my life was like before the accident?

One of the players scored a goal and the crowd began to clap. I took this opportunity to get a picture of the goal and the crowd in the background. I've been taking pictures of sports for the past two and a half years. The accident was four years ago. Some of my memory came back, but not all of it. That I know. There's something buried so deep. I've tried therapy. I've tried looking at photo albums. I tried asking for memories. But my parents wouldn't let me. I guess the accident did too much damage. The scary part that my mom and dad won't let up on being that if I push my memory to hard, my brain will overload. The doctor told them if I was to overload on memories it could lead to a traumatic brain injury. My parents kept me out of the town gossip for a year and a half before I asked to move out.

"Hey Sweety," my dad brought me back to the arena as he walked over the bench to where I set up my gear.

"Hi Dad," I love them. I do. I just wish I had more freedom. More chance to figure some things out regarding who I used to be. Not that I have to go back to who I was, but just so I can get the closure I feel I need.

"How are your pictures today?" I showed him a few and heard him grunt in response. "These are good," I nodded and brought the camera back to me. I held it up to get a picture of the pee-wee's skating across before all tumbling to the ice in a collision. The crowd let out a combined giggle seeing them all flop onto the ground up ice. There are only a few more minutes left in the game, so I decided to pack up some stuff before moving along.

"I'll meet you at the truck when I'm done okay? I'm going to go behind the bench as this game wraps up." I told my dad watching him nod.

He adjusted his ball cap while standing up. "Okay, I'll turn your butt warmer on," he gave me a grin and we both went our separate ways. I made my way to the benches and managed to get some good pictures as the kids all skated back to their coach as the buzzer rang throughout the half-filled arena. The air kicked in and I adjusted my scarf a bit more. I told the coach's wife that I would send the photos along within the next day or two.

She thanked me and I made my way to the truck. Before I could get to the door someone called out my name. "Zoey! Ms. Miller," I turned around to see a fairly older man heading my way. His fluff of hair is almost all white. "Hello, I'm Henry McCormick." I shook his outstretched hand and gave him a smile. "My grandson plays on the away team that just lost. I saw you taking pictures. May I see a few?" Even though I knew nothing about this man, I nodded and opened my camera case back up. I got the newest one for Christmas this past year.

I showed him a few and he gave out a few 'wow-ed' gasps. "I don't know exactly what you do for a living, but I think you have a great shot at professional sports photography."

"Really? It's just a little side job right now." I shuffled the camera in my nervous hands.

"Let me properly introduce myself. I am Henry McCormick, general manager of the NHL Nordiques. I know I seem far from my arena, but an hour and a half drive to watch my grandson play is never too much. We are looking for a new photographer for our upcoming season." My jaw is wide open at this point. This man is the GENERAL MANAGER of a National Hockey Team. How crazy is it that he would be here. At a silly pee-wee game for his grandson where I am taking pictures.

"Here is my card if you find you are interested in. I'll be awaiting your call, Ms. Zoey Miller." His business card laid in my palm as I stared back at him.

"Yes, I'll think about it. Thank you for the card. I'll be sure to call you-"

"Zoey?" My dad found me and put a hand on my shoulder. "Hello I'm her dad Frank Miller, and you are?"

"Henry McCormick, G.M. of the NHL Nordiques. I was just talking to Zoey about her pictures and offered her a spot on the team as our photographer." My dad was silent for some time. I went to thank Mr. McCormick and head out but my dad decided to ruin it all.

"She isn't interested, but thanks for your time." He led me out as I gave out a few protests. Mr. McCormick winked at me as my dad led me to the truck.

"What the hell dad?" I set my stuff in the back seat and tucked the card in my back pocket. "Being the photographer for an NHL team would be great! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity-"

"No. You aren't going to go. Do you know how much of a risk it is?" I held my breath. Of course. Of freaking course, this had to be about the accident.

"Dad, the accident was over four years ago," I spoke softly. "I think I can manage-"

"No, you can't. This is the end of it. Don't think about that opportunity again." I couldn't believe how my dad was acting but I guess after almost losing your daughter's life choices change a bit. I looked out the window for the rest of the ride home. I didn't agree with him. I knew mom would say the same thing.

When we got home, mom had dinner ready. I wasn't in the mood. I brought all my gear up to my room and sat in my chair. I pulled out the contact card from Mr. McCormick and twirled it between my fingers. This could be a great chance to finally go beyond the town. The sad looks eventually stopped last year, but some of the townspeople still look at me as if I'm a puppy that has just been kicked.

My tummy grumbled as I smelled my mom's home-cooked meal. I sighed and tucked the card under a book. I made my way downstairs and saw my mom and dad eating in silence. I grabbed a plate for myself and heard my mom speak up. "Honey, I know you want to look into the opportunity, but your father and I have good reasons for you not to go there. It will be too much-"

"Well, this isn't much either." I stayed waving around to the house. "I'm twenty-three years old still living at home because I can't leave. I can't leave because my parents think I'm not ready." We were all silent for some time before I spoke up again. "I can handle it. I know when to contact doctor Schmidt."

"We know you do Hunny, but we still can't allow you to go and take the offer." My mom spoke. She took my hand in hers and gave it a squeeze. "I don't want to risk anything by you going with them and your head starting to hurt." I let out a sigh and slunk down in my seat. I'm not hungry anymore.