¡ 5- The Peanut Problem

They were waiting patiently for me to pick one from the basket infront of me and chew, but i was hesitant. These were Rose's favorite, true, but i was damn allergic to peanuts. It hurt me alot in my childhood and put me in the hospital several times that my Dad ordered the house help to eliminate any sign of peanuts in the house.

"Rose, my dear, c'mon try these." Paulina urged me. "You love them remember? Whenever you and Marc got in an argument, he'd give you peanuts and you'd forgive him instantly."

Really?

I chuckled nervously. I began sweating, out of fear. My throat felt dry and my lungs seemed to run out of air. I gulped hard. "Y-y yes, but..."

"Listen Rose, you said you forgave me right? If you eat these peanuts, then i will know you've really forgiven me. And i asked everyone to be here to witness it too, because you're a lawyer and you're really cunning, so i had to get my witnesses, right."

Yea, so they could witness my 2nd death, nice job, Marc.

"Mummy, eat it please. You said you forgave Daddy so you have to eat it, okay." Zayne picked up a peanut and stretched it towards my mouth while giving me the puppy dog eyes that i couldn't resist.

I was helpless. The real Rose loved peanuts, so if i refused, the family would question me and my secret would be out but if i accept, I'll react to it and my secret still gets exposed.

At this point, i was stuck.

The moment the peanut was about reaching my mouth, a loud bang came from outside, making everyone shock and the peanut fell from Zayne's hand.

Marc and the guards quickly rushed to the balcony and he orders them to open up the gates. Meanwhile, i sat down where i was, staring at the basket that was infront of me. Now was the time, i needed to get rid it. But, it had to look like an accident. I reached for a carafe that was on the same table as the peanuts. While carrying it, i pretended to stumble and the water from the carafe went over all the peanuts.

"This isn't good enough." I lifted the carafe in the air and let it fall on the basket and smashed the peanuts, making me scream. A few heads turned around, to see what was happening. It was a messy sight, indeed. I held the back of my neck as i stared at it. Soon, Marc and everyone came into the house and saw the mess i made.

"Rose, what happened? There's water all over the floor." Marc asked.

"Dear, are you okay?" Paulina asked as well.

"I-i i was thirsty a-and it just, slipped, while i tried to get water." I bit my lips hard. "I'm sorry."

"Liar!" Yelled a tiny voice. Zayne's. "Liar, Liar, Liar. I saw Mummy pour water into the peanuts. She spoilt them! and she's lying!" I heard gasps from around.

Shit.

"Zayne! Shut up! You're calling your mummy a liar? Is that what i taught you?" Deep down, I'd been panicking. I didn't know Zayne had seen me. Sometimes, he could give me trouble. He got that from his mother, though.

"Mummy spoilt the peanuts," He began sobbing. "I really wanted them. She's lying Dad." He tugged at Marc's pants.

"Rose,"

"Marc, this was an accident. I hope you know that."

"Well, what do you want me to believe?"

"I'm just trying to explain to you that the jar slipped from my hands. Paulina, please help me out here." She tried to calm him down but Marc was resisting.

"No, mother. Don't calm me down." Marc had pushed Paulina's hand aside. "I believe you Rose, i do. But believing you means my son is a liar, and that is what i won't take." He lifted Zayne in his arms to straddle him by his side. "Didn't i tell you, Logan was a bad influence on our son, huh? Now see, today he'd just lie against you. Tomorrow, he'll con you, then next, steal from you!"

"Marc," Paulina was trying to intercede. She knew all too well where this was going and if she didn't do something about it, her son may loose his hold. A mother who couldn't control her son. "Look, let this matter die now, ok! If you don't want to send me to an early grave, please stop this right now. Both of you."

Marc's breathing had increased as his chest heaved. He was angry. He pointed his fingers to my face as he warned me, carefully. "I don't want to see that man, Logan, in my house anymore, Rose! The day i do will be his last day, trust me." Were his last words and he exited with Zayne.

"Rose, look I'll talk to Marc, he's just angry right now. Later on, he'll calm down, please, my dear." Paulina patted my shoulder before walking away.

I got a scolding because of that child. Not that i couldn't speak for myself, i let Marc go with the infatuation that Zayne lied. At the expense of my work with Logan of course. When he apologized to me earlier, deep down, i knew something was going to go wrong again. He'd been on my neck since the first day over Logan. But, I'd rather take Marc's scolding ten times, than for my secret to be exposed.

"Well, what are you are standing there for?" I asked the maids who most definitely enjoyed the scene of my husband yelling at me. "Clean this mess up. Now!" I commanded them and headed upstairs.