¡ 4- The Questioning

I sat on the bench the female guard directed me to. I was in the visiting area waiting while she went in to get the detainee. I watched both of them walk towards me and she sits the detainee down.

"Attorney Rose,"

"Bethany," I regarded the woman who sat opposite me.

She observed me for a while before speaking. "To what do i own this visit?"

"I just need some answers from you."

"Ohh, i see. In what way can i be of service?" She beams me with a wide grin, which i don't take fondly.

"It's nothing much, though. It's regarding Eve."

She shifts uncomfortably in her seat as her smile wears off instantly. "You've come with this name again. Eve, Eve, Eve, Eve. She's dead, i see no reason for you to question me about her."

"And why has your mood changed so suddenly upon hearing her name?" I asked with folded arms as i looked into her eyes. They say, a person's eye holds the key to their soul. As a lawyer, Rose was known well for staring into the eyes of her clients, and i wanted to know what this woman was hiding.

"Nothing!" She quickly denies it. "I don't know anything, so don't ask me!" Her tone came out loud, making people around to turn their heads towards us.

"And how about Dina Monterey? You know her. The woman who was to help you and Eve escape from prison."

"Hey, Guards! Come take me back to my cell! Guards!" I knew Bethany all too well. The time i spent with her in prison as Eve, i got to learn her tricks. She'd want to create a scene to escape from my questions.

"You were one of the people who saw Eve last, so you should know something. You were the closest to her, she confided in you." I said hurtfully. Remembering how much i trusted her made me want to vomit.

"And how do you know that? Were you there? did she tell you that?"

My face went pale as my throat went dry. I did my best to keep away from such questions. These type of questions threatened my identity. Though, she didn't know who i really was.

"Hey, Guard! This woman is trying to harass me!" The Guards had rushed in upon her fake panicking.

"What's your problem? Do you realize you're making alot of noise."

"This woman," Bethany pointed at me. "She's harassing me with her questions."

The female guard regarded me for a while. "But this is Rose Sullivan. One of the best lawyers in the country. If you weren't a criminal, she wouldn't harass you." And she began walking away.

"Hey, believe me, she is trying to harass me. Asking me questions that i have no clue of, a-a and..." and Bethany faints, causing a commotion in the visiting room.

People scattered all around in order to revive her. But i knew her too well, it was all an act. This woman was smart and cunning indeed. But what she doesn't know is, I will get my answers one way or the other. Even if i have to use force. Even if i have to wake the dead.

•~

"Did you get anything?"

"Nothing." I said angrily as i walked out the prison gates with Logan following me closely. "Why didn't you come in?"

"Ahh well, this place gives me the hickeys." We were both detainees once, so i understood how he felt.

"I'm sorry, Eve. If i had followed you, we could have gotten something from that bitch."

I got to my car and momentarily paused, turning around to give him an admonishing look.

"Rose," He corrected himself. He was well aware of the rules and how much calling me Eve in public would be a threat to my identity.

•~

I sat down close to Zayne in the garden, watching him as he tried to catch butterflies. His size and his height were of a disadvantage to him, though i was enjoying seeing him jump around, happily.

"Mom, i caught one." He giggled, bringing me his catch that was wrapped inside his palm.

"Oh, let me see." He opened his palm slightly. "Ah, the marigold butterfly. So beautiful. Nice one, Zayne."

"Thanks, Mom."

"You know what, since you like butterflies so much, I'll make a little gallery for you, so u'll keep it in your room. Any butterflies you catch, will go into the gallery, okay?'' My son nodded.

"Daddy!" He yelled, making me turn around to see Marc. Zayne welcomed him with a big hug and Marc picked him up. I stood up from the seat i occupied, watching Marc pretend to fly Zayne in the air.

"Okay, that's enough now." The play was getting too much and i wouldn't want Zayne to get hurt. Marc put Zayne down and he ran into the house after Marc whispered something in his ear.

"What did you tell him?"

He beamed a bright smile on his face. "Oh, nothing important."

I rolled my eyes and occupied the seat i left earlier. "You're trying to steal his heart from me, right?"

"No, actually. I'm trying to steal your heart." He had a grin on his face and my cheeks flushed.

"There it is." He teased, earning a bright smile from me before taking a seat next to me. "Rose," His tone got serious. "I'm sorry about last night. I really don't know what i did but, if there was anyway i may have upset you, I'm really sorry."

"It's okay, Marc. I actually over reacted last night. I was just erh... Overwhelmed, i guess. But, it's cool, it's okay." He took my hand in his and gave it a light kiss.

"Come on, i got you something."

He pulled me inside the mansion with him and took me to the living room. He sat me down and asked me to hold on. The whole family were present. Grandma Paulina, Zayne, the maids and the Guards. I smiled brightly wondering what was so special Marc had gotten the whole house gathered. Soon, i sighted Marc coming from afar with a basket full of my worst enemies.

Peanuts!

No, no, no, no.

Was this his peace offering?

"Surprise!" Marc yelled and Zayne leaped up with joy.

"Peanuts! Yay! Mummy's favorite!"

Fuck, I'm so dead.