¡ 14 - The Harsh

"Hey baby," I beamed as I approached Zayne who was doing his assignments on the corridor on the staircase. Ever since the accident he had been home schooled online since he had to use crutches for support. "You're busy with your work I see."

"Good morning, Mom." He met my gaze once and continued what he was doing. Almost as if he was avoiding my gaze.

I looked at his book, "Oh, isn't that a multiplication problem? I can help you with that." I sat by his side.

"No, mom. It's okay. I can do it on my own." He rejected my gesture.

Zayne was a smart kid. I knew he could do it in his own. Offering to help him with his assignment was a way of getting close to him. I wanted his trust and affection again. And to let him know I'm still here for him.

"I am aware my baby is a very bright student." I pinched his cute cheeks. "But let your mother help you, c'mon."

"Mom, please stop." He flinched and shrugged my hold. "Go away. I can do it on my own."

My heart sank. That hurt me bitterly.

This was not the kid I used to know. Zayne had always been so full of energy. A very cheerful boy. Lately, he didn't seem that way. I wonder if there was things he was keeping inside him. I wish he would open up to me.

Could the accident be the cause of his recent attitude? Could it be that he thought I abandoned him after we got back from the hospital? 'Zayne, I hope you know your father deprived me the opportunity to take care of you. I didn't abandon you.' I wanted to tell him badly but...

"Ma'am," the maid called, yanking me from my thoughts. "Madam Paulina needs you urgently."

"Alright." After one last look at him, I got up and left Zayne to do his work. "Where is she?" I asked the maid as we headed down the stairs.

"At the garden, ma'am."

Three minutes into my talk with Marc's mother. I felt different. I felt this awkwardness, like something was wrong. It occurred to me my hand felt lighter and that was when I realized I dropped my phone on the table while talking to Zayne.

"Please excuse me, Mom." I hastingly proceeded back up the stairs. My eyes expanded in shock when I saw Zayne scrolling through my phone.

I was on the stairs when I found out my guts were right. "Zayne!" I yelled in fury and he shockingly raised his gaze to me. "What. Are. You. Doing?" I yelled and pulled my phone from his hold and he stood up with the aid of his crutches, mumbling. Scared.

"M-mom, I..."

"Shut up, Zayne! How dare you go through my phone? How disrespectful can you be?! What were you looking for, huh?!"

"Rose, my dear, what's going on up there?!" Paulina yelled from downstairs as well as everyone wondering what the commotion was about.

"Mother, can you imagine? Your grandson was going through my phone. What gave him the right?"

"M-mom, i-i was ... M-my assignments."

"Don't lie to me! Didn't I offer to help you and you refused?! Couldn't you take my permission before you opened my phone?!"

"M-mom, I..."

"Don't. You. Ever! Try this again! Got it?!"

He busted into tears and I didn't give him liberty to explain when I walked away, towards my room. I was about to spin the handle on the door when I heard a loud cry accompanied with several loud thuds.

"Zayne!" Paulina's voice echoed.

I halted my steps and followed the echo that came from downstairs and my eyes expanded in shock at the scene.

Zayne's crutches were spilled along the stairs and his body was laid lifeless at the foot of the stairs where Paulina had his head rested on her lap.

"No." I murmured. Fear and pain had already overwhelmed my being.

"Zayne, wake up." Paulina's voice cried out again.

"Zayne!" I screamed as I ran down the stairs to hold my son. "Zayne, wake up it's mummy." I tapped his cheeks severally, trying to get him awake but he didn't respond. "Someone get water! Zayne!" I didn't realize when I began sobbing. "Baby, please wake up I'm sorry." I sobbed more while tapping him. "Zayne, wake up."

"Zayne!" Marc's voice came from the entrance in shock. In one swift move he had dropped his office briefcase and coat and ran towards us. "Zayne! What happened, Rose?" He looked at me with concerned yet furious eyes.

When my sobbing wouldn't let me construct a sentence. He figured it out.

"What did you do, Rose?!" He asked again, yelling at my face with a furious tone that made me gasp.

"Please, call the doctor. Please." Paulina pleaded.

Marc looked at me one more time with a disgusted look before yanking Zayne in his arms, away from me.

•~

3 hours later

Marc walked the doctor outside when he was done giving us instructions, leaving I and Paulina to sit by Zayne who was sedated.

"My baby is in so much pain, Mom. It's all my fault." Sob. "I was probably too harsh on him. If I had just..." Sob.

"Zayne will be fine." Paulina pecked Zayne's forehead. "Why don't we all calm down and get some rest? It's late." She stood up ready to leave.

"No, Mom. I'll stay right here till he wakes up." I picked Zayne's hand in mine and placed a light kiss on his knuckles, as I watched him sleep.

"Rose," Marc's voice startled me. I spun and found him standing at the door. "We need to talk."

I raised my gaze to Paulina who said nothing but simply exit the room.

"Now."

With the stern tone his voice came and the tense atmosphere I felt in the room, I knew I was in deep shit.

•~

I'm so sorry this took sooooooo long. I hope you enjoyed it though 🥺