Chapter 15: Change of Heart

A few days had passed since Zane had the water poured on him. He hasn't come to school since. Jay said he'd come back once he was over it, but I'm not sure how long that would be. All I know is that I feel bad. The only reason it happened to him is because he was hanging out with Lloyd and I. We're the reason for everyone's low reputation. And Chen and his friends continued to play these stupid "pranks" on us, if you can even call them that. Pranks are supposed to be funny. These are not funny.

Kai and Nya's reputation slowly dropped. They went from being well respected student athletes to being the isolated members of their sports teams. They both say they're fine with it, but it really doesn't seem like it.

Cole, however, is just excited to have people to talk to. He has so many stories to tell and he's just happy he has people to tell them to. He says that the only person he really talked to before is his father. Apparently Cole is the son of a famous dancer and acapella artist. I've never heard of him since singing and dancing aren't really my thing, but his dad does seem cool.

As for Lloyd and I, we're still doing fine. Life hasn't really changed for us since we've always been the outcasts. As for our relationship, that's a different story. The both of us are really awkward and have no idea how relationships like these work. We're just trying to figure things out on our own. We still haven't told anyone about us yet, other than the rest of the ninja, that is...

The weekend approached rather quickly, actually. Today was Friday. We all decided against a meeting at the warehouse today because we all deserve a break. and I had plans to go to Lloyd's house.

I just had to ask my mom first.

I walked out into the living room, where my mom usually was. She was sitting on the couch as usual, but she seemed to be kind of lost in thought.

"Hey, mom-" I began, but she started to talk before I could speak any further.

"(Y/N)... can I talk to you for a second?..." she asks.

"Uhmm... sure. What do you need?" I slowly approach her.

"I've been thinking... I'm... kind if hard on you a lot..."

Wow, you think?

"And... I was hard on your siblings... And your father... And I really need to change... change the way I treat everyone..." she explains.

I'm a bit shocked. I'm the only child of hers left at home and she's just now realizing this?

"Where is all this coming from?" I ask.

"Every time the city is under attack... you come home late. If anything were to ever happen- not that I think it would- but say the city was destroyed... I wouldn't want my son to go out thinking I hate him. Because I don't... I had a rough up bringing myself and I guess I'm just repeating what I was exposed to... which isn't good," she admits with a nervous chuckle. "No amount of apologies can undo what I've done, but you... (Y/N)... every time you come home late... I'm so worried. And I rethink every single one of my decisions when it comes to raising you and your brothers and sisters. I just wanted a good life for you and I sucked at providing..."

I say nothing. I just stare at her... speechless, with my arms crossed and my eyes watering...

Damn, she's really gonna make me cry...

I'm really glad that she's finally realizing how much her attitude has impacted me negatively, but I'm also kinda pissed that it took her this long to realize it.

"So.. I have to almost die for you to finally want to treat me right?" I ask.

I mean, I don't want to be that guy, but she kind of deserves it. She just looks down in disappointment.