Chapter 2: Scars

The weekend had passed and it was already time to go back to school. I woke up to that same annoying alarm, but today, I wasn't dreading school as much as I was on Friday. I was actually eager to get to school. I wanted to see if Lloyd was back at school and if he was doing okay.

I did my normal, lazy morning routine. I brushed my fingers through my hair, put on my hoodie, grabbed my bag, and left.

The bus ride to school wasn't very eventful. And neither was the trip to my locker, just the same old stuff. I didn't bother to check the chance of attack today, because Garmadon never hits twice in a row.

I head to my first class and there I see Lloyd sitting in his normal seat. As soon as I walk in, Lloyd's eyes light up and he gets up and runs toward me. He pulls me into a hug.

"Thank you," he whispers.

"For what?" I ask with a confused look on my face. He pulls away from the hug and smiles at me.

"For saving my life. The doctors said that if you weren't there to help me, I could have died," he says, staring at me.

I didn't know how to respond.

"Well, you saved me first, so I guess we'll call it even."

He smiles at me and we stare into each other's eyes for a little bit. I've never noticed it before, but he has such nice eyes. I've never seen anyone with eyes this bright and effervescent.

Our happiness was interrupted when Chen entered the room.

"What's up, Garmadon? Is this your boyfriend?" He laughed and pushed his way in between us.

Lloyd's face turns red from embarrassment. "W-what? No, I-I was just- we were just-"

Chen pushed Lloyd and got all up in his face. "Listen, freak, when will you learn that no one wants to talk to you? Even the kids with no friends don't want to hang out with you," he motions to me when he said 'kids with no friends.'

"I'm sorry..." Lloyd mumbles.

"Good. Stay in your lane, freak," Chen delivered one last push that sent Lloyd to the floor as he turned around and left the room.

As soon as Chen leaves, I hurry up and help Lloyd up off the floor. "Are you okay?" I ask once we're both on our feet again. Lloyd's face is blank as he stares off. He snaps back and gives me a puzzled look. "Why are you so nice to me? I'm disgusting."

"No, you're not. You saved my life," I put my hand on his shoulder as I try to reassure him.

"But even before that, you were nice to me... Why?" He stares deep into my eyes and he looks as if he's about to cry at any moment. I really didn't know what to say to that. Why was I nice to him?

"I... I don't know... Everyone deserves a friend I guess," I state. His expression changes a bit. "A friend? ...We're friends?"

"Yeah, sure. Why not?" I smile at him, but I'm faking a little bit of my happiness. It's not that I don't want to be his friend, it's just that I've always preferred to just be a loner. He pulls me into one last hug, anyway.

"Okay, that's enough with the hugs, man," I laugh. "Haha, sorry," he pulls away. He stares as me a little longer. It's hard to tell what he's thinking, but he looks to be happy... I'm glad I can make him happy.

Our staring is soon ended by the sea of kids filling the room at the same time they always do; about two minutes before the bell rings. Lloyd and I quickly take our seats and we get to the usual note taking. It's the same boring stuff as always, but I'm fine with it.