Chapter 12: Looking Up

The next morning on a Friday, I walked into school as usual. Shoved my things in my locker and went to class. Of course, Lloyd was there. He looked a bit upset this morning, but I know things have been pretty rough for him lately.

"Hey, Lloyd," I say, in a much happier tone than I would normally as I sit down next to him.

"Hey..." he glances at me as he has his head down on his desk.

I know Lloyd hasn't been the best in his mental state recently, so I'm hoping I could have some kind of positive impact on him if I just try to stay cheerful. I normally hate acting this cheerful if I'm not actually feeling like it, but it's for Lloyd. And Lloyd makes me happy.

"How was your morning so far?" I ask.

"Okay," He responds.

"How were you yesterday... after I left?" I keep trying to get him to talk. Maybe he'll be his normal happy self then.

"I just cried and went to sleep... Because all I ever do is cry, I guess..." He says. I know he's only saying that because Chen was the one who said 'He only ever cries and begs for attention,' but we both know that's not true.

"It's okay to cry. It's a healthy way to express how you're feeling," I say.

"I guess."

"So, you didn't do anything else? Anything I specifically asked you not to do?" I ask, knowing he knows exactly what I mean.

"No, I didn't. I realize you're probably right. Hurting myself isn't going to help anything... I'm going to try to quit for good. Not just for my sake, but for yours, too... I'm glad you came over yesterday..." he gives a small, tired smile.

"Good. Today's a good day," I say.

"Why's that?"

"Because you're finally helping yourself. You're working your way up to a better you," I smile.

"Thanks," he gives me that same tired smile again.

As always, Chen walks in the room, but we ignore him and he ignores us. He sits down at his desk and says nothing. Yeah, he actually said nothing. That's a first. Lloyd looked at me, though. We were both thinking the same thing. It's a bit weird that I know that he likes Chen. But I'm gonna pretend that I didn't even hear him say he likes him. One; so I don't make Lloyd uncomfortable, and two; I hate Chen and don't like thinking about him. It kills me to know the guy I like, likes the guy I hate. I know people always say hate is a strong word, but I do hate him. I despise him.

Anyway, this is all besides the point. I'm just glad Lloyd can recognize that he has a problem and he's making an attempt to fix it.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-

The rest of the school day went by as normal. Boring classes, annoying lectures, homework. The usual. To be honest, the only part of school I enjoy is sitting with Lloyd at lunch. After I went home I realized it was Friday. That means training.

When I enter my home, I walk straight to my room and put on my ninja suit, put a jacket on over it, and hid the mask in my pocket, just as I had done last time. I didn't bother to wash the makeup off my face, though. Too much effort. And without question, I locked my bedroom door and hopped out the window, starting my walk to the warehouse.

As I walk, it's as if everything that's been going on in my life as of recently has finally dawned on me. I'm a ninja. I'm a freaking ninja, dude. That's crazy. It's as if it hasn't settled in my mind until now. I'm still unsure how to feel about it... It's so weird because I'm working alongside with the people I've idolized for so long, which is amazing. But the thing is, they don't even know who I am. All they know is The Wind Ninja. They don't know (Y/N). Now I think I'm starting to get why Lloyd constantly separates himself from his Green Ninja persona.