Chapter 14: Love's a Strong Word

Once I arrived home, my mother was emidiately on my ass.

"Where were you?"

"Why were you out so long?"

"Why didn't you call me?"

That sort of thing. I just told her that I got caught up in the attack and that I was hiding. She believed me. She just went on about how worried she was. She didn't sound very sincere, though.

I asked her about going to Lloyd's house. She seemed hesitant, but she eventually said yes.

When I made it to Lloyd's house I just knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer.

I hear the soft sound of Lloyd's footsteps approach the door. As the door swings open, I'm greeted with Lloyd's wide smile.

"Hey, (Y/N)!" He cheers with the cutest smile on his face.

"Hey, Lloyd." I smile back as I step into his home.

"(Y/N)!" Lloyd's mom approaches me. "It's so good to see you again!" She hugs me tight, as if we have known each other for years.

"Mom..." Lloyd groans.

"Are you staying the night, (Y/N)?" She asks.

"If that's okay with you," I say.

"Of course it is! You're always welcome to stay the night!" She cheers.

"Thank you, Koko," I smile.

I then proceed to Lloyd's room. I brought a bag of my belongings and some things for school. I just sit it in the corner of his room. Lloyd sits down on his bed and I sit next to him.

"Soooo..." Lloyd starts.

"Today is a lot to take in, isn't it?" I sigh.

"It really is. I just need to relax," Lloyd laughs. I laugh too, but then my mood changes to that of a more serious one.

"Lloyd... can I ask you a question?"

"Sure," he replies.

"What... are we?" I ask.

"What do you mean?" He looks at me.

"Are we like... a thing now? Like... what do you want us to be?" I look deep into his green eyes.

"I don't know... what do you want us to be?" he asks back.

"That doesn't matter. I want to know how you feel," I reply.

"Well... I would like for us to be... something... if that's what you want," Lloyd says nervously.

"Like boyfriends?" I ask.

"Like boyfriends, yeah," he confirms.

"I think I'd like that," I smile.

"Good, because I was starting to feel pretty awkward," he jokes.

I just throw my arms around him and bring him into my embrace.

"Are we gonna tell anyone about us?" Lloyd asks.

"I don't know if we can. With all of the harassment we get... who knows what people would do if they found out we were a couple?" I express my concerns.

"...Do we tell our parents?" He asks again.

"If you really want to tell your mom, you can, but I don't really know if I'd like the way my mother would react," I say.

Lloyd just gives me a look of sadness and concern. I know he wants to be happy and open about our relationship to everyone, but I'm not sure if being open is exactly what I want right now. I'm not ashamed of Lloyd, because I know Lloyd isn't the problem. The problem is that we're both guys. I'm not sure if it's something my mother would approve of.