17

Saturday 1000hrs

Forever Boutique

Catherine pushed the door open to the Forever Boutique, allowing Kono, Mary and Grace to step in before her. A pleasant looking woman in her late 50's approached them, a smile on her face as she greeted them.

"Hello, welcome to Forever Boutique, I'm Dorothy. How can I help you?" She said warmly.

"Catherine Rollins, I have an appointment to try on dresses." Catherine said in introduction.

"Of course, you're our bride having the Navy wedding. I have you booked in with Carla, she's picked several dresses for you to start with already, but we like our brides to pick a few as well. Carla has picked out some lovely ball gowns for you to try, lots of bling so you're not out done by the groom. We want you to shine on your day; you want to be the one all the guests are looking at, not your new husband in his uniform. Most of our Navy brides go for a ball gown, the whole fairy tale image." Dorothy told her as she led them to the back of the Boutique.

"Dorothy, I'm not just marrying a naval officer, I'm also one myself. I do not want a fairy tale dress; I want a simple classy dress that I'm comfortable in. Maybe a Grecian or mermaid style." Catherine told her.

"Oh I see. We'll get a few more dresses picked out for you then." The older woman said giving Catherine a smile, as she beckoned a younger woman over. "Carla, this is Miss Rollins. We need to help her pick out a few more gowns, if you could start with our Mermaid and Grecian styles."

"Of course, if you'd follow me, we can get started." Carla said, leaving Kono, Mary and Grace to get comfortable.

20 minutes later Catherine was looking at herself in the mirror, not liking the dress at all. The assistant had suggested she would try on one of the ball gowns first, so she could completely rule out the style. This was the first one she had tried, and she knew it definitely wasn't right for her; it had a large frilly skirt with lots of tulle ruffles and a bodice that was completely covered in diamante and crystal beading. Catherine felt like she'd stepped out of one of Joan's story books.

At the suggestion from the assistant she slowly moved out of the changing room, stepping onto the small platform in front of the full length mirror. She frowned at the image, slowly turning round glancing at the back of the dress, before turning to look at her friends. "I hate it." Cath told the assembled group.

"So not you, Sistah." Kono said, grinning at Catherine who looked uncomfortable in the big frilly monstrosity.

"You look a little silly, Auntie Cath." Grace said.

Catherine had her hands on her hips, looking down at the white tulle frills that stuck out from the bottom of the dress making her look and feel ridiculous. She sighed, pulling a face, as Mary spoke.

"Yeah, I can just imagine Steve's face when he sees you in that." Mary said with a grin, as she snapped a quick photo of Cath with her phone.

"Don't even think about sending him that picture, Mary." Cath said making an attempt to grab the phone from her future sister-in-law.

"Aw come on Cath, don't you think he'd want to see you in that dress." Mary teased, as she sent the photo, and a small message. "Go try on one of the ones you picked."

"I'm so getting you back for that." Cath lifted up the front of the dress, returning to the dressing room to change into the next dress. The assistant helped Cath to remove the dress, and hooped underskirt before she slipped the other dress over her head and fastened the zip. Cath smiled at the image, turning slightly to see the back of the dress in the mirror.