Up at night

Drowsily blinking his eyes open, Nickfound that it was still night.
Groaning a little, he rolled overto the middle of the bed, intending to cuddle up with his girlfriendand go back to sleep.

Surprisingly though, he found the otherside of the bed empty and cold, meaning Ellie had probably left theconfines of their warm and cozy bed a while ago.

Now fullyawake, the Latino pulled the sheets back and got up, leaving theirbedroom to find Ellie in the kitchen, her back turned towards him asshe made herself a cup of what he would guess was hotchocolate.

Walking up to her until he was behind her, he woundhis arms around her waist, effectively pulling her against his front,his bare chest touching her back.
Ellie tensed up only for a fewseconds before she relaxed in his embrace, leaning her head backagainst his shoulder, enjoying the warmth of his body againsthers.

''Hey, what are you doing out of bed?'' he softly askedher as he pressed light kisses against her neck.
She apparentlyhadn't noticed him before he touched her, which made Nick wonder whathad her so deep in thought.

''I couldn't sleep,'' the blondeanswered silently, eyes closed as she breathed in his familiarscent.
He always smelled so nice, except for when he came backfrom a run or the gym, but even then she usually didn't mind himkissing her.

Her tonewas quiet, but something in her voice had Nick immediately worried,knowing there was more behind it than just her not being able tosleep.

Slowly rocking her from side to side in his arms, hischin now propped down on her shoulder, he inquired what was botheringher, though he already had an idea what it was.

''Hey, babe, what's wrong?''

Elliesighed, not answering instantly. She wasn't sure if she wanted tovoice her worries and burden Nick with them, knowing that he neededto be very concentrated and not distracted for what was to come.

Over her shoulder, Nick looked down ather hands resting on his arms that were still wrapped around herwhile he patiently waited for her to answer his question.

That'swhen he noticed that the shirt she was wearing looked oddly familiar,too familiar in fact to be hers.

''Hey, is that...myshirt?''

He felt, rather than saw, Ellie chuckle lightly atthat, confirming his suspicions.
Finally pulling away from her alittle as she also turned around to face him, he indeed saw that itwas his tight gray shirt she was wearing, the article of clothingloosely hugging her thin frame, only just long enough to reach overher underwear.

''I couldn't help it, it's so comfy and itsmells like you,'' Ellie admitted a bit sheepishly, though with asmall grin, showing him that she wasn't really guilty about stealinghis shirt.
She hugged her frame to prove her point, snuggling intothe too-big shirt as she inhaled its scent.

Nick's eyes roamedover her body once more, taking notice of the fact that she didn'tappear to be wearing a bra underneath, the only thing that she woreexcept for his shirt being her black lace panties.

''It'sfine, it looks better on you anyway,'' he replied with a smile beforehe turned their attention back to the original topic at hand.

Urgingher to grab her mug and sit down with him on the couch, he asked herto tell him what was bothering her again.

After another momentof silence, Ellie finally gave in and told him.
''I don't want youto leave for that undercover case tomorrow...It's too dangerous!Besides, you're not an undercover agent anymore...Why can't someoneelse do it?'' she said, voicing the last part without muchconviction. The blonde was clearly upset over the matter, her browsraised and pulled together and she didn't dare meet hiseyes.

''Ellie...'' Nick started but was quickly interrupted byhis girlfriend.

''You always pretend you don't care but I knowyou do. I know you don't actually want to go either, so why do youalways agree to do it?'' she vented, tears starting to brim in thecorners of her eyes, threatening to spill over and run down hercheeks.

Nick let out a small sigh, understanding her feelingson the matter.
She was right, he wasn't too happy about leavingher to go undercover again either, but it's what he felt like he hadto do.
He also knew that deep down, she knew why he'd agreed whenVance asked him to go undercover and was just being emotional andupset at the moment.
This was why Nick pretended to not care thathe was being sent undercover once more, why he pretended to be finewith it.
The Latino didn't want to cause her more concern than shealready had.

Pulling his partner to him, taking her into hisarms, her face buried in his chest, Nick tried to reason with her aswell as calm her down.

''Ellie, you know why I have to dothis. It's our job. And I've been undercover several times before,I'm good at this. It'll be fine.'' Nick didn't dare promise thatthough, he knew that the line of job they'd chosen was oftenunpredictable, something could always happen, could always go wrong,especially when it comes to undercover cases.

At Nick'sexplanation, the blonde pulled away from him to be able to look intohis dark brown eyes, which were likewise focused on her hazel ones,seeing the fear in them, the worry.

As soon as the tears shehad tried to hold in made their way down her cheeks, Nick's heartbroke.
He couldn't stand it when she was sad, couldn't bear to seeher cry, especially when he was the reason for it.

''Please don't cry,'' hepractically begged her as he placed his hands on her face, wipingaway her tears with his thumbs.
''I'm gonna be careful, Ellie, Ipromise.'' Because that was the only thing he could promise without abad conscience. She could see the truth in his eyes, but still, asmall sob left her lips at the thought of something happening tohim.
''I'll be fine, I know what I'm doing. I'm gonna be back assoon as possible,'' he tried once again to reassure her, his foreheadnow lightly pressed against hers.

Both of their eyes nowclosed, one of Ellie's hands placed over Nick's on her cheek, theother one softly gripping his neck, both breathed in the other'sscent to calm down, reveled in the contact of each other's hands ontheir skin.

Eventually, -the hot chocolate long turned cold-the tears streaming out of Ellie's eyes ceased and she had visuallycalmed down.

''Come on, let's try to get some moresleep, alright?'' Nick softly suggested, knowing they needed to befit tomorrow, he especially.
Ellie nodded, voicing her agreementin a quiet but calm tone of voice.
''Okay.''

However,instead of moving back into their bedroom and getting back into bed,Nick laid down on the couch, pulled Ellie down with him and placed ablanket over their barely clothed bodies to keep them warm.

The blonde immediately relaxedbeside him, one of his arms under her and wrapped around her, gentlysliding his fingers over her naked back under her shirt where it hadridden up, the other hand slowly stroking over her hair.

Bothof them loved little moments like this, where they were just cuddlingtogether until they fell asleep, him embracing her and her headresting comfortably on his chest, one arm slung over his stomach,their bare legs touching.
It was moments like these that made itpossible for them to forget all of their worries and concerns, toforget all about the world around them even if it was only for alittle while.

It was exactly what they both needed at thatmoment.