Not his type

Today was the day Ellie would tell her family about her new boyfriend, who she had been dating for three months now.

So in the evening, she sat at her kitchen table, and put her laptop down, then she called her mom via video chat, waiting for the call to connect.

When her mom's face appeared on her laptop screen, she greeted her with a smile.

''Hey, honey.'' Beside her mother, the faces of her three brothers showed up.

''Hey, El.'' her oldest brother said, accompanied by the greetings of her two other brothers.

''So, mom said that there's something you wanted to tell us...what is it?'' her brother John then curiously asked.

''Well...'' she hesitated for a few seconds, but figured she'd have to tell her family sooner or later anyway, she decided to just say it and not beat around the bush.

'' I just wanted to tell you that I'm in a relationship again. Have been for three months, actually-''
she didn't get to say any more than that, because her brothers interrupted her with surprised yells of 'what?'.

''And you're only telling us now?''
''Who is it?''
''Is it a co-worker?''
''Why didn't you tell us earlier?''

Her brothers bombarded her with questions, all speaking at once, not even giving her time to actually answer.

Fortunately, her mother decided to interfere.
''You three, calm down. How about you only ask her one question at a time and actually let her answer?'' her tone was strict, not given any of her sons the room to disagree, as she gave all of them a look that underlined her request.

Then Ellie's mon turned back towards her only daughter.
''Honey, you're sure that it's a good idea for you to be in a relationship again? Are you sure that you're ready for a new relationship?''

That was the same answer Ellie had asked herself at first, too, when Nick had revealed how he felt about her and wanted to take her out on a date.
It wasn't that she didn't have feelings for him too, but after the way her last two relationships had ended, she hadn't been sure either if it was a good idea for her to start dating again. She had been afraid that if she and Nick would start dating, something bad would happen that would destroy that relationship as well. That's what she'd told Nick, and he had understood, still asking her to just give it a try. It was only one date he asked of her, after all.

So she had agreed, and that date had led to quite some more dates, and soon enough, she'd forgotten her fears as her and Nick's relationship had progressed and her doubts had vanished.
She was happy with Nick, as happy as she hadn't been in a long time before that.

That's what she explained to her mother, though she left out any indication of who she was dating, not mentioning her boyfriend's name or anything, as she wanted to say who it was only to her mother first, without her brothers being there, because she was quite sure her brothers wouldn't be too thrilled when they'd find out who it was she was dating.

But her brothers didn't let her off the hook that easily, not before she'd answered their questions and told her who her boyfriend is.

''Don't make us come to D.C. Again and question every man there, El.'' her oldest brother George playfully threatened, though he was still serious about it. If she didn't tell them, they would come there again and find out for themselves. It was their job as big brothers to look out for their little sister, after all.

''I will tell you, George. I just want to tell mom first-'' Ellie started to explain, but her brother Robbie didn't let her finish.

''You think it's someone we probably won't approve of and want to tell mom first so that she can tell us.'' he'd figured, knowing his sister.

Ellie huffed. ''If I'd tell you, you guys will just want to interfere in my personal life again-''

''You said you'd be more open with us-''

''That's why I told you about having a boyfriend. And like I said, I'll tell you who it is, just not now.''
Ellie argued with her brothers, getting a little annoyed.

Just then, before any of her brothers or her mom could reply anything, Nick's voice could be heard as he came out of her bathroom, only dressed in a tight shirt and boxer shorts, his hair still wet from his shower.

''Hey, Ellie, how about we order some takeout? I'm starving.''
Too late he noticed that she was sitting in front of her laptop, and on her screen were the faces of her brothers and who he assumed was her mother.
When he realized though, he just let out a guilty ''Oh''.

Ellie had turned to gaze at him and shoot him an angry look for revealing who her boyfriend was like that. She'd told him about wanting to call her family and tell them specifically so that he'd not spoil it like he just did.
Letting out a grunt at her boyfriend, she turned her gaze to her laptop screen again and the faces of her family.

Even though it was obvious that the man who was now standing behind her was her boyfriend, her mom hadn't met Nick before, so she kind of had a neutral expression on her face.
Her brothers were a different case, though, as their jaws had dropped.

''HE's your boyfriend?'' John emphasized the first word, without a doubt not happy with the reveal.
George added ''Last time when we thought you were dating our sister you said that she's not your type at all'', followed by her youngest brothers input saying that Nick had also said that they're just good friends, nothing more.

That was where Nick chose to interfere, and speak up for himself, while also sparing Ellie from having to answer.

''Okay look. Back then, Ellie and I were just friends, That wasn't a lie. And when I said that she's not my type, I was just trying to get you off my back, because I wasn't dating her back then, so I thought there'd be no harm lying about that.'' he explained, earning doubting looks from his girlfriend's brothers.
Then he spoke put a hand on Ellie's shoulder, giving her a reassuring smile -knowing that she wasn't liking the way this was going-, and turned to Ellie's mom, deciding to ignore her brother's for now.

''By the way...'' he cleared his throat, ''Mrs. Bishop, my name's Nick Torres. Nice to meet you.''
he put on his most charming smile, hoping to at least make a good first impression to Ellie's mom and convince her that he's a good guy and a good boyfriend to Ellie.

''Barbara Bishop, nice to meet you as well, Nick,'' she replied with a smile, giving Nick the hope that he had succeeded with his intention.

Looking at Ellie's brothers again through the screen, he saw that they had crossed their arms and were all examining him with a frown on their faces.
Still, Nick decided to give it one more try.
''Look, I get why you're obviously not happy about finding out that I'm the one Ellie's in a relationship with... but I know that it would really mean a lot to her if we would get along.''

At that statement, he shared a look with his girlfriend, who glanced at him with a look that he knew meant that she was hopeful that her brothers would stop acting like offended children, and accept her choice of Nick as her boyfriend. Afterward, Nick continued his speech.

''I know that you just want to protect her because you're her brothers and you love her, but so do I.
And I promise that I'd never intentionally hurt her. I love her very much.''
that confession and the tone of his voice – gentle an filled with his feelings towards her- had Ellie placed her hand on Nick's that was still on her shoulder and squeeze it, a soft smile on her face, which Nick returned, before she let her arm drop again and he removed it from her shoulder, though he remained standing directly behind her.

Then both of them looked back at her laptop screen, at her family.
Her brothers seemed to think about it, sharing glances from time to time.
Her mother's big smile, on the other hand -not minding her sons at that moment at all-, seemed to already like Nick.

''How about the two of you come over here at Thanksgiving in a few weeks. Then we can all get to know each other better and Nick can meet your father as well, honey.'' her mother proposed.
Nick nodded at Ellie, indicating that he was fine with that, but Ellie shot a doubtful look at her brothers.

''I'll make sure to talk to your brothers before then and make sure they behave. You know, talk some sense into them.'' her mother told her, making her nod.

''All right, mom. We'll be there. George, John, Rob,'' she then addressed her brothers, who in return looked at her as she gave them a stern look, ''promise me that you'll give Nick a chance.'' she demanded.

Her brothers exchanged glanced again, but then sighed and nodded at each other, agreeing in unison.

Relieved, Ellie smiled, and when she saw the time on her laptop, she decided to end the video chat.

''It's late, mom. We should end the conversation now that that's settled. We'll see you at Thanksgiving. Love you guys.''

They said their goodbyes, after which Ellie ended the video chat and closed her laptop.

Standing up from the chair and turning around to face Nick, Ellie placed her arms on his shoulders, her fingers laced together behind his neck, a familiar grin on her face as she spoke, a teasing tone in her voice that he knew all too well.
''So...not your type, huh?''

He let out a quick laugh at that and returned the smirk, knowing that she was just teasing him, and after that he moved even closer to her, placing his hands on her hips, their lips now only a few inches apart.

''I'm pretty sure I can make you change your mind about that'' Ellie whispered suggestively, staring deeply into his eyes, while she placed her lips on his and gave him a passionate kiss, that he gladly returned.
When they had to break apart for air, he let his hands wander under her shirt, before he gave her a reply.

''Oh, I'd like nothing more.''
Then he gave her an open-mouthed kiss, their tongues joining soon after she responded to the kiss, as he lifted her up and she wrapped her legs around his waist and he then carried her to her bedroom.