A dispute in the morning

Ellie woke up when she felt a kiss being placed on her cheek. She drowsily opened her eyes and her husband appeared in her vision.
As Nick saw that she was awake, he leaned towards her again and this time, he placed a kiss on her lips, which she returned.

After a few seconds, they broke apart and Nick told her good morning with a smile on his face.
She smiled back at him gave him a quick peck on the lips once more before she moved to stand up.

''Hey, El, where are you going?'' he called out to her, disappointed that she didn't stay in bed for longer.

''I'm going to take a shower'' she explained, and when she saw that he had a familiar look on his face and opened his mouth to say something, she quickly interrupted him, already knowing what he was going to suggest.
''No, Nick, you can't join me. We'll just get distracted if we shower together.''

At her words, he let out a crestfallen sigh with a frown on his face.
''Okay, okay, fine''
''Why don't you go see if the boys are up. I'll be quick'' she suggested as she moved into the bathroom and closed the door behind her.

He sat on the bed for a minute, until he could hear the water being turned on in the bathroom and then stood up to do as she had asked.

He went through the hallway towards the room of their older son to check on him first and see if he's awake already, but he found out soon that that was the case when he heard voices from inside the room.

Nick opened the door to find not only his older son but his younger one as well, who both appeared to be arguing over something but stopped when they heard the door open and saw their father.

The 6-year-old was holding a toy car in his hand that looked like it was missing two of its tires, glaring angrily at his little brother who was sitting beside him on the floor, wiping his eyes with his little hands that were formed into fists.

''What's going on here, boys?'' Nick asked in a slightly strict tone, displeased with the fuss his sons were making in the morning already.

Noah pointed a finger at his little brother. ''Caleb broke my toy.''
Nick could clearly make out the anger in his son's voice.

His younger boy, however, had something to say too and tried to defend himself against Noah's accusation. ''Noah wouldn't let me play with it. And I didn't want to break it. It was an accident, daddy.'' He was still sniffling and a few tears were running down his cheeks.
''And then Noah started yelling at me and said mean things. I didn't mean to break Noah's toy, really, daddy. Lo siento.''

Understanding the situation, Nick quickly went over to comfort Caleb, lifting him up into his arms.

''Hey, buddy, stop crying. It's alright. I'm not angry at you, okay? And I'm sure that Noah will forgive you too. Your mom and I can just buy Noah a new toy.''
Nick softly told Caleb to calm him down.
''That is... if he actually apologizes too.''

Noah still wasn't satisfied with that, though.
''But that was my favorite car, daddy. And I didn't want to share it'' the boy complained with crossed arms and a pout on his face.

The father of the two ruffled Noah's hair now, making it all messy.
''It still wasn't right to be mean to your brother, Noah. So go on and apologize, and then I promise we'll buy you an even better one, alright, buddy?''

The young boy seemed to be thinking that over for a second and then decided to do what his father asked of him. It'll get him a new toy car, after all, and he didn't mean to hurt his brother with his words.
''I'm sorry too, Caleb, for being so mean to you.''

Nick let the youngest of their family back onto the ground, who was noticeably calmer now and had stopped crying.
Said boy then went over to his brother and threw his little arms around his older brother.
''I love you, Noah.'' the little guy muttered into his brother's t-shirt.

After he had gotten over his slight surprise, the other boy returned the hug.
''Yeah, I love you too, Caleb.''

Nick was satisfied with his work, being able to resolve the argument between his two sons, and smiled at the scenario of the two boys hugging each other.

''Well, that's a nice picture'' an acquainted voice suddenly called from the doorway.

Nick looked at the source of the voice and smiled at his wife, whose hair was still wet from her shower and who was now dressed in jeans and a white shirt.

Her husband moved towards her and stood beside her, while he placed a soft kiss onto her lips and then both of them looked at their sons as they ran to Ellie and greeted her, and they each received a kiss from her on their foreheads.
After that, Noah suggested to Caleb that they can play with his other toys together and they sat on the ground to play.

Their parents watched as their children were happily playing with the toys, the dispute from earlier apparently already long forgotten.

Nick sneaked an arm around Ellie's waist, both of their eyes still focused on their boys, and pulled her closer to him.

In a quiet voice, as to not disturb the children while they were playing, she asked him what had been going on while she was in the shower.

''Oh, nothing much, just a little fight between siblings. Nothing I can't handle.''
He told her with a light smirk adorning his lips.

''If you say so,'' she replied with a quick laugh, not surprised in the least by the smug tone in his voice. Besides, she had already seen the broken toy that was now lying on the ground of Noah's room and could make a pretty good guess what had happened.

Beside her, Nick cleared his throat and looked at her.
''By the way, we have to buy Noah a new toy car. And it has to be a really cool one, I promised him.''
''Of course.'' Now she was the one who had a smirk on her face, one that she wasn't even attempting to hide.

Both shared a quick look that was full of affection and love for each other, and then both turned their gazes on their sons again, the same expression still present on their faces while they watched them.

After a while, Nick felt the need to tell her something, something that he had already told her a dozen times over the last few years, but never got tired of saying and knew she never got tired of hearing.
''Te amo, Ellie'' He placed a quick kiss on her temple as he said this.

She let out a soft laugh.
''I love you too, Nick''

Then both of them returned to watching their two children play, more than happy with the way their lives were at that moment, and looking forward to the future that awaits them.