Amends

It had been 2 months since Nick had been needed to go undercover again.
Today was the day he would finally return and she was already anxiously waiting for him to arrive at her apartment.

When she heard a knock on her door, she practically jumped up from the couch she was sitting on and headed to the door as quickly as she could.
Opening it, she was finally face to face with her boyfriend again after weeks with without seeing or hearing from him, since he had not been able to stay in contact with her while he was undercover.

''Nick'' her voice was relieved, glad that he was finally back home again and out of danger.
He took a few steps inside and she threw her arms around him, causing him to drop the bag he had with him.
His put his arms around her as well, returning the embrace.

''I've missed you'' she told him softly, and he tightened his grip on her as he said that he had missed her more.

After a moment, they finally let each other go and Nick quickly closed her apartment door.
Ellie gripped his hand and led him towards her couch, as both of them sat down on it, side by side.

''I'm so glad you're finally home'' Ellie said as she put her hands on his face and leaned in to kiss him. She was surprised when he didn't return the kiss at first, and only after a few seconds ran his fingers through her hair and kissed her back.
It almost seemed to her like he was reluctant to kiss her.

Then, sooner than she'd have liked, he pulled away from her and moved a few inches away from her on the couch, his face tilted downwards.

She looked at him questioningly. ''Nick, what's wrong? You seem... kind of distant.''

''Listen...there's something I need to tell you.'' he still didn't dare look at her which caused her to worry.

''Nick, look at me.'' she urged him, wanting to know why he was acting so out of character.
When he still didn't look up, she grabbed his face in both of her hands and gently pulled it upwards so that he was looking her in the eye.
''Tell me what's bothering you.''

''Ellie...I...'' he stopped talking for a moment, trying to figure out the best way to tell her, tell her in a way that would least hurt her. Until he admitted to himself, that no matter how he's going to phrase it, his confession will still hurt Ellie, without a doubt.

So he sighed and decided that it can't be helped so it was probably best to just say it.
''While I was undercover... I...I slept with someone.'' he kept a close eye on her face as he said this to observe her reaction. Her jaw dropped and she turned her face sideways to break their eye contact, she couldn't bear looking at him.
For a few seconds, there was only silence, while she tried to comprehend what he had said until he couldn't take it anymore and chose to break the quiet.

''Ellie, I...'' Nick started but broke off the sentence when her eyes met his again and he saw the tears streaming down her face.
He tried to perform damage control, tried to ease her pain by explaining it to her.

''I'm so sorry about this, Ellie, I swear, I only did it to keep my cover, because I had to.
I never would've done it if there had been another way, believe me. It didn't mean anything to me, I-'' she interrupted him at that point, stopped him from keeping on trying to justify what he'd done.

''LEAVE!'' her voice sounded shaky, but she said it so loud and forceful that it was clear she meant it.
But he couldn't leave now, not like this. Not when she was this hurt, not when she was so angry at him.

''Ellie, please. Listen to me-'' Nick tried to place his hand on her cheek, he wanted to wipe her tears away, couldn't take seeing her crying, but she slapped his hand away before he his hand came into contact with her skin.

''I told you to leave. NOW!'' her facial expression was composed and firm, and he knew that she was trying to hide how she felt right now, knew that she didn't want him to see the effect that his confession had on her, the pain that he had inflicted with those few words.

Knowing that there was nothing he could do at the moment to make amends, to put things right, Nick sighed defeatedly and got up.

Grabbing his bag that was sitting by the door, he turned to face her one more time to find her still sitting on the couch the same way as before, her back turned to him, and then went through the door that led of her apartment.
________________________________________________________________________

The next day at work, everyone else could notice the tension between Ellie and Nick.
While Nick darted a few glances at her from time to time and tried to approach her, Ellie refused to even acknowledge his presence in the room. She never looked at him even once, nor did she speak to him.

She was quietly typing at her computer, Nick's eyes on her, when Gibbs came around the corner and joined them in the bullpen. However, he did not stop but instead went right past them in the direction of the elevator as he called out to his female agent ''Bishop. Elevator''.

She stopped typing and sighed, then quickly got up to follow Gibbs, throwing a glimpse at Nick for just a second.

After Ellie was in there as well, Gibbs was quick to stop the elevator.
Both were standing next to each other, each one of them facing the elevator door.

''He told you?'' Gibbs asked her after a few seconds of silence.
Ellie let out a short agonized laugh at this and slightly shook her head. ''Of course you knew.''
When Gibbs didn't respond, she spoke again, and while she tried to hide it, Gibbs could clearly make out the anger in her voice.
''What do you want me to say, Gibbs?'' She shook her head again, though it was barely noticeable this time.
''I don't know how to feel about this, Gibbs. I know...-'' she stopped talking for a second to let out a sigh, then continued. '' I know... that he said that it was only to keep his cover... that he didn't have a choice but to do it, but it's just...'' a tear streamed down her cheek.
When she didn't resume talking, Gibbs decided to speak.
''You don't believe him, Bishop?'' his gaze was on her now and she turned to look at him as well.

''I do... I believe him. But that doesn't mean...that doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt.'' her voice was quiet now and he had to listen carefully to understand her.
''And I don't know how to feel about this, because I believe that it was like he said, that he wouldn't have done it if it hadn't been necessary, but still...what am I supposed to think about this?

How am I supposed to act around him and speak to him? Because I can't pretend that what he did doesn't bother me, that I'm not hurt by it, despite the circumstance it happened in.''

When he was convinced that she was done speaking for now, he laid his hand on her shoulder.
''Ellie, I know that the situation is not easy for both of you, but the two of you need to sort this out. You need to be able to work together'' he told her, a rare softness recognizable in his voice.

She slightly nodded her head. ''I know...I know that, Gibbs. I'll talk to Nick and we'll sort it out.''
The anger seemed to be absent from her voice now, replaced by the hope that the two of them will actually be able to fix this.

''Good.'' He moved to hug her, putting his arms around her and she gratefully returned the embrace, really in need of a hug.
''I'm sure you will.''

________________________________________________________________________

It was already midnight and Nick was watching a movie when there was a knock on his apartment door.
Wondering who would stop by his apartment at this hour, he stood up and opened the door.
Not expecting the person that was now standing in front of him, it was easy for Ellie to perceive the surprise in his voice when he said her name.
Looking at his face, she could see that his facial expression mirrored the emotion she could hear in his voice.

''We need to talk.'', she told him.
They both agreed on that.

He nodded and moved aside to let her in, relieved that finally wanted to talk to him.
Then they just stood there for a moment until Nick finally found the courage to speak.

''I wasn't sure if you'd be willing to talk to me after you more or less threw me out of your apartment yesterday and ignored me at work. Not that I can blame you, though'' he confessed, obviously feeling guilty because of what he had done.

''I wasn't either... but... I believe what you said. So I thought...it would only be fair to give you the chance to say what you need to say'' she told him.

''Ellie...'' he placed his hand on her face, needed to touch her as he spoke.
''I know that my confession hurt you. But I swear that I would never actually cheat on you like that in real life. It was only for the undercover operation, nothing more, and it meant absolutely nothing to me.
You are the only one that I love.'' his thumb was caressing her face now.
''God, I love you so much, El. And I hate that I hurt you like that., especially since you've been cheated on before. I'm so so sorry.'' his tone was remorseful, though she could also hear the softness in it that was reserved solely for her.

Her eyes met his as a tear escaped her eye and she managed a smile for him.
''I believe you, Nick...and...I think I can forgive you. I trust you.''
Ellie leaned in towards him and her lips met his. The kiss was soft at first, but after he returned it, the kiss grew more passionate and his hands moved to her waist as Nick placed them under her shirt, his fingers touching her skin, and she in return wrapped her arms around his neck.

After some time, they pulled away from each other and Nick rested his forehead against hers.
''Te amo también, Nick.''
She intentionally told him in Spanish, after which he took a step back and looked at Ellie.

''You know...I might be pushing my luck... but...how about I make it up to you?''
he suggested and regarded her with a familiar expression on his face.

She thought about it for a second, but quickly made up her mind and a smile formed on her lips as she moved towards him to join their lips once more and then she pushed him in the direction of his bedroom with a smirk on her face.
''Sounds good to me.''