Birthday dinner and distractions

Today it was Ellie's birthday, and Nick had decided he wanted to do something special for her.

In the morning, he had stood up earlier than usual to make her a nice breakfast.
He had made pancakes, as well as bacon and eggs, and along with some coffee, he brought everything to her on a tray, to where she was still lying in bed.

Her alarm hadn't rung yet, so she was still asleep.

Nick set the tray down on the nightstand and carefully sat down on her side of the bed.
With his fingers, he gently started stroking her hair and then first placed a kiss on her cheek, then one on her lips to wake her up. Ellie slowly returned the kiss, though she was still only half-awake and her eyes were still closed.

After a few seconds when he had pulled away again, Nick whispered to her in a quiet and soft voice.
''Hey, El. Wake up.'' Ellie slowly opened her eyes and blinked, her eyes still having to adjust to the brightness in the room.

''Good morning,'' Nick smiled at her and she sleepily returned the smile as she replied ''Morning, Nick.''

''Happy Birthday, Ellie,'' he wished her, then added ''I made you breakfast,'' as he took the tray and placed it on the bed after Ellie had sat up.

''Oh, really? Breakfast in bed. What a luxury.'' she let out a small laugh.
They rarely ate breakfast in bed, especially on work days since they usually didn't have time for that in the morning.

Ellie started eating and let out a happy sigh, making Nick smile, proud of himself that she seemed to enjoy the breakfast he had made her.

While she ate, he quickly went to retrieve her birthday present from where he had hidden it in one of his drawers, under his socks, so that she wouldn't accidentally find it.

When she had finished the food and had set the tray aside again, he gave her the small wrapped box.
When she had opened it and saw what was inside, there was a huge smile on her face.

''I hope you like it. It took me quite a while to find the right one. At least I hope it is,'' Nick elucidated.

Ellie beamed at him as she took it out. It was a really beautiful silver necklace with a little diamond.
''It's beautiful, Nick. I love it. Can you help me put it on?'' she gave the necklace to him and turned her back to him, gathering her hair onto one side so that it would not be in the way.

Nick then placed the necklace around her neck and closed the clasp.
Ellie turned around again and kissed him. ''Thank you.''

After that, they had gotten dressed and gotten ready so that they could drive to work.

And even though they had to work that day, they had been in Ellie's favorite restaurant for lunch, where Nick swore she ate at least half the menu. Not that he minded, of course, he just laughed at her giant appetite.
Her eating habits just made him love her even more.

Fortunately, they had closed their case pretty quickly and were able to go home by early evening.

At home, Nick had decided to cook her a nice dinner, knowing that she always appreciated it if he made the effort to cook something for her.

He had just put the lasagna in the oven when Ellie came up beside him, longingly looking at the food that she still had to wait for way too long until it was ready, in her opinion.

''I can't wait for that to be finished. I'm so hungry,'' she told him, and he laughed at her, stating that she's always hungry, making her smile in return at the truth of that, and shrug her shoulders.

''Come on, while we wait for the lasagna to be finished, we can start watching a movie, maybe then it won't seem so long to you until we can eat dinner,'' Nick suggested, and they sat down on the couch, side by side, and did just that.

It would have all been fine, had it not been an overly romantic movie that they had decided on. Because all of the romance that was going on in the film had inspired the two of them to kiss for a really long time instead of actually focusing on the movie, and that had soon enough turned into laying down on the couch from their sitting position and to them making out.

They only stopped when both of them noticed a very unpleasant smell coming from the kitchen.
It smelled like burned food.

''Oh, damn, the lasagna!'' Nick then realized what had caused the smell after both of them had to think for a few seconds, having been so busy with...other things that they hadn't been able to place the smell right away.

Nick quickly leaped up from the couch and ran to the kitchen, finding that he would have needed to take the lasagna out of the oven long since. Apparently, both of them had forgotten the time while they were busy making out.

When he had taken the lasagna out of the oven and placed it on the kitchen counter, Ellie came to stand beside him again, as both of them looked at the black mass in front of them.

They looked at each other, and while Nick could see that she was a little sad about not being able to enjoy his delicious lasagna, it was clear to both of them that neither one of them regretted making out while they waited for the food to be ready.
That part had been very enjoyable after all, even though the outcome of the lasagne wasn't.

''Should we just order takeout?'' Nick asked, and Ellie agreed, having been about to make that suggestion as well.

''Definitely.''