The start of something new

They had been the only ones left in the bullpen after they had successfully closed a case, for which Nick and Ellie had went undercover again.

And this time it wasn't just pretending to be girlfriend and boyfriend, no, this time they had been undercover as husband and wife.

Playing these roles for a week had caused Nick's feelings- the ones that he had first acknowledged when they had been undercover as Luis and Charlie, but had probably already had long before that without realizing it- that he had desperately tried to bury, to resurface again.

The reason for burying them had been that he'd thought it probably wasn't wise to act on his feelings, considering that there was Gibbs's rule 12 and the fact that he didn't think she could ever possibly reciprocate what his feelings and didn't want to ruin their friendship by telling her about his feelings.

But even though he had told himself he would ignore his feeling for his partner, and no matter that he totally didn't have the intention of even letting them show, as to not make things awkward -neither for himself nor for her- the undercover mission had changed things, for it made him understand some things.

It made him realize that ignoring his feelings and burying them didn't make them disappear, but instead they had only grown stronger over the last few months, and pretending to be a married couple had given him an insight into what it would be like to have a romantic relationship with Ellie, no matter that it hadn't been real.

It made Nick understand that being in a relationship with her was what he wanted and that he was tired of suppressing his feelings all the time.
And if the impression that he got during the undercover work wasn't wrong, if he didn't just imagine things, there might be the slightest chance that Ellie also has feelings for him, which before he hadn't thought possible, but now hoped it to be true.

Still, it hadn't been in his plans to kiss her that evening, after both of them went to leave the office as well and were then standing in the elevator side by side.

He had stopped the elevator, which made her look at him with a little frown on her face, wondering what he was up to.
Nick had just stared at her for a minute, hoping to find answers in her face or in her eyes, wanting to know what she felt for him.

And it had been an entirely spontaneous decision that came out of the blue to just pull her towards him at her hips and press a kiss onto her lips.

His heart was pounding when she didn't return the kiss at first, already internally smacking himself for pulling a dumb move like that and possibly ruining their friendship.
However, his thoughts changed when after a few seconds, being too surprised to act before, she started kissing him back, deepening the kiss and throwing her arms around his neck, stroking through his hair with one hand, while he then pulled her even closer towards him, pressing their bodies tightly together.
The kiss caused him to push any and all thoughts out of his mind entirely wanting to just savor the moment.

After what seemed like an eternity, they broke away from one another, though their hands stayed where they were.

After seconds of just looking at each other, Ellie decided to speak.

''Why did you do that?'' she seemed confused.

''Because I wanted to.'' there was a smug smirk on his lips as he said so, though his eyes conveyed something other than smugness.

Seeing her expression didn't change, he softened his expression and put a hand on her cheek, gently caressing it with his hand.

''I've been wanting to do that for quite some time now. And not when we're undercover and it was for show, rather than real. Because the truth is, that I've had feelings for you for quite a long time now. I was just... I just didn't want to say anything or do anything about it because I didn't want to make things awkward between us in case you didn't feel the same.''

Now there was a small smile adorning her face.
''Then why kiss me now? Why change your mind now if you kept it hidden till now?''

''I didn't plan to... but I guess you cannot suppress such strong feeling forever. And I got the impression that just maybe, you might have romantic feelings for me too. And if that's the case, then I don't want to waste any more time just because of rule 12.''

After he said that, Ellie placed a quick kiss on his lips again, her fingers going through his hair again.
''So, you're saying you want to take me on a date then? See where it leads us?'' she asked, seemingly happy about the idea.

Nick nodded with a smile, one that mirrored her own, while still holding her in his arms. ''Yeah, I'd like that very much.''