A day at the beach

Since it was summer and it was unusually warm in D.C. , Ellie and Nick had decided to take their son and daughter to the closest beach.

When they arrived at the beach, the children were excitedly bobbing up and down, obviously looking forward to seeing the sea for the first time.

They looked for a place to lay their stuff down, Nick placing their bath towels down on the sand after which they sat down on them.

''C'mon, kids, time to put on some sunscreen. We wouldn't want you to get a sunburn, after all.'' Nick told their two children who had already sat down in the sun and had started playing with their beach toys.

The two children went to their parents and sat down beside them, while Ellie and Nick took out the suncream and started applying it to their children's skin.

When they were finished, their kids ran off again to play, while Ellie and Nick put some sunscreen on as well. Seeing that Ellie could use some help, he took the suncream from her and with a smile, he asked ''Do you want me to put the sunscreen on your back?''

She nodded and turned her back to him so that he could apply the sunscreen to her back and shoulders.
When he was finished, Ellie lay down on her towel and closed her eyes, wanting to tan herself for a few minutes.
Nick set up a sunshade and then followed her example and did the same, though he kept his eyes on their children who happily played together in the sand.

After an hour, Nick thought their kids had been in the sun long enough, and it was about time for lunch anyway, so he decided to call out to them and tell them to get into the shade.

''Kira, Jayden, come here, it's time to eat.''
The children obliged and went to sit beside their parents.
Ellie took out the food they had prepared in the morning and gave a sandwich to each of their kids and one to her husband before she ate two herself.

Nick also took out some bottles of water for them to drink, knowing that it was important to stay hydrated when it's so warm.

After they were finished, their 6-year-old son wrapped his little arms around the left one of his father, trying to get him to stand up.
''Daddy, can you help me build sandcastles, please?'' the boy pleaded, giving his father his best puppy eyes.

Looking towards Ellie who gave him a smile, as their daughter cuddled up with her, he agreed.
''All right, buddy. Let's go''.

They went closer to the water, taking two of the buckets with them, and started building sandcastles together.

From afar, Ellie watched her boys with a content smile. Back when they had first started working together, she never could have imagined having children with Nick, much less seeing him building sandcastles. He just really hadn't seemed like the type. But now that they were married and had two wonderful children, she wouldn't wish for things to be any different.

After 20 minutes, Jayden came running towards Ellie.
''Mama, come look at the sandcastles daddy and I made!'' he exclaimed loudly, clearly excited.
''Ok, I will. C'mon Kira, let's go take a look.'' Ellie replied and then lifted the 3-year-old into her arms, carrying her towards the sandcastles, besides which Nick still sat in the sand, while her son had already run there.
When she and her daughter were there too, she let the little girl down and placed a kiss on her son's forehead.

''It looks very good, Jayden. Good work.'' then she ruffled his hair, making it all messy.
''Hey, what about me, Ellie? I did half of the work!'' Nick complained playfully from a few meters away, now standing up.
So Ellie walked towards him and placed her arms around his neck, giving him a kiss that he returned gladly.

''Ewww, mommy and daddy are kissing.'' they then heard Jayden complain, a disgusted look on his face, though Ellie and Nick thought that his expression looked rather cute than anything else.

Laughing, they broke away from one another and turned back to their children, one of Nick's arms around Ellie's waist.

Then Jayden expression changed as he got an idea.
''I wanna go swimming, can we go swimming now, Mama, Daddy?'' the boy requested in a pleading tone.

Nick and Ellie shared a look, then nodded.
''Of course we can. That's what we're here for, after all.'' Nick stated, telling them to wait though for him to go and grab the children's water wings.

When he came back and the children had put them on, Jayden couldn't contain his excitement anymore and ran off into the water, his mom following him while she gave Nick a glance over her shoulder, before she turned back to watch her son to make sure that nothing happened to him.

Nick, on the other hand, gazed at their little daughter, who just stood there, and didn't dare step any closer to the water, apparently.

''Hey, Kira, what's wrong?'' he asked in a gentle voice as he kneeled down beside her and put a hand on her shoulder.

''Don't wanna go into the water. I'm scared.'' the little girl said in a quiet voice, not looking up at her father.

Nick ruffled through her black hair with the hand that had been placed on her shoulder and then took her tiny hand into his big one as he stood up.

''How about we go into the water together?'' he suggested, but the child still didn't seem entirely convinced, he noticed as she stared up at him with an unsure look.

''Ok, and what if I carry you? You'll be safe in my arms, and I promise I won't let go of you if you don't want to''. Kira seemed to think about that for a few seconds before she gave a shy nod.

So Nick took her up into his arms and then went into the water with his daughter.
When he was in there up to the waist, the water touched Kira's feet.

Ellie and Jayden were just two meters away, the latter happily swimming.
''Mama, look how good I can swim'' he proudly said,
She gave him a big smile.
''Yeah, I can see, sweetheart. You're doing a very good job.''

Meanwhile, Nick held Kira a little bit lower so that her whole legs were in the water.
''See, it's all fine, Kira'' he told his daughter. ''No need to be afraid.''

The girl nodded, now apparently less scared, so Nick carefully let her down so that her whole body was in the water, his hands still under her arms, holding her, while he carefully watched her to make sure that she didn't get scared.
''Don't worry, I've got you.'' he reminded her just in case.
After a few seconds in the water, the child had a small smile on her face, waving her arms around in the water, while she let out a short laugh, making Nick and Ellie smile, her mother now watching her as well with one eye while she kept the other one on her son.

Jayden swam over towards his dad and sister then, wanting to show off his swimming skills in front of them too.

Ellie went over towards them too, and stood beside Nick, while both of them watched their kids swim with a smile on their faces until Nick spoke.
''I think we're gonna have to visit the beach again the next time it's so hot, don't you think?'' he smirked at her, his eyes wandering along her bikini-clad body.
She looked at Kira and Jayden again, who were obviously having fun.
''Yeah... We sure can do that'' she replied, leaning over and giving him a kiss, which he returned just as eagerly, their kids luckily distracted by the waves in water.

Afterward, Nick unexpectedly splashed some water right in her face, making Ellie's jaw drop in surprise, until she did the same to him, starting a water fight.
Soon enough, their children joined them -though Ellie and Nick were careful not to splash the water into their faces- all four of them laughing and having fun.