Lost possession

This just couldn't be happening.
There was no way that this was actually happening.

At least that was what Nick was thinking, as he frantically searched for his wedding ring, turning the little casket around so that its content fell out onto the counter.
There wasn't actually that much in there besides their wedding rings -and he still didn't see his ring- but he still hoped that he had just overlooked it and that it would turn up again if he looked once more.
It had to be there, it's where he always put it when he took it off before going to bed.

''Oh nooo. No, no, no'' panic laced his voice when he still couldn't find it.
This was not good, not good at all.

He and Ellie had only been married for 2 months, so he couldn't have lost his ring already.
Just what would Ellie think of him when she found out? Just what would she say? He was sure she'd be angry, maybe even furious, and definitely disappointed by him.

Cause c'mon, how could he have lost his wedding ring after only two months of marriage?

''Okay, Nick, calm down. There's no need to panic. Maybe I just put it somewhere else instead of its usual spot. Maybe I'll find it if I look somewhere else. It must be somewhere, after all'' he tried to convince himself. But he was so sure he'd put it where he always did...or hadn't he?

Nick groaned, annoyed at himself.

Then he heard the sound of the bathroom door opening, and he swore his heart skipped a beat as he quickly closed the casket where they kept their wedding rings in, as well as some other jewelry of Ellie, and practically jumped away from the casket that was placed near the sink, just as his wife stepped into the room, giving him a smile.

''Morning, Nick'' she said as she strode up to him to wrap her arms around his neck and pull him into a kiss.

Relieved that Ellie seemingly hadn't noticed how frantic he'd been before she'd come into the room, he gladly returned the kiss, placing his hands on her hips, feeling the fabric of one of his favorite shirts that she had seized for herself and was currently wearing.

After a few seconds, they pulled away from each other.

''I'm gonna take a shower,'' Ellie told him then and asked if he wanted to join her.

He declined though, having a slightly different plan for once, even though he kind of regretted not accepting the offer the moment he refused. But he had an important matter to attend to.

''No, I already showered before you woke up,'' he stated, motioning to his still wet hair.
Since it was their day off they had both slept in, and while Nick had woken up at 10.30 am, he had let Ellie sleep some more. Now it was already 11am.
''And usually, you know that wouldn't stop me from joining you, but...'' he emphasized the last word, ''I thought I could make us a nice breakfast meanwhile. So take your time and then we can eat breakfast together when you're done.'' he proposed, hoping that that would give him enough time to look for his ring as well while she was in the shower so that she doesn't notice that he can't find it.

''Alright, that sounds good.'' she agreed. So he exited the bathroom and she went into the shower.

Preparing the breakfast first in a hurry, so that he still had time to look for his ring until Ellie came out of the shower, he then scoured the whole kitchen, living room and hallway for the ring, but his frustration only grew the more he searched without finding it.

He had just finished looking everywhere when Ellie came out of the bathroom, now dressed in jeans and a shirt and Nick quickly sat at the kitchen table, Ellie joining him and they ate their food.

Thank God Ellie didn't notice that he wasn't wearing his wedding ring during their breakfast.

When they were done, Nick had to think of another way to distract her. He still hadn't searched in their bedroom, after all.

''Hey, Ellie, would you drive to the grocery store for me and buy a few things?
I'd do it myself, but there's something else I need to take care of and I'd thought that I could cook us a nice dinner this evening...you know, since we have the day off, I thought that would be nice.''

Ellie seemed slightly surprised by that at first, but after a few seconds, she nodded with a smile.
''Sure, just let me blow-dry my hair first.''

So that's what she quickly did before she took her car keys and went out of the door to get the things from the list he had quickly written while she was drying her hair. With those ingredients he could cook them a delicious meal in the evening.

As soon as she was gone, Nick went into their bedroom and looked everywhere he could think of, causing a huge mess and resulting in him having to tidy up the whole room after he had searched the whole room, without success again.

He sighed. If it wasn't here in their apartment, then it was actually gone it seemed, because he knew he hadn't lost it somewhere outside.
He had still had it when they'd come home from work yesterday evening, after all.

But what was he supposed to do now? Tell Ellie...? He knew that honesty was important in a relationship, but still couldn't bring himself to actually tell her. He mentally slapped himself. Of course he would screw things up and lose his wedding band just after two months.
Ellie would probably be so disappointed in him, and at the fact that he'd lost it.

Deciding to get some advice, he grabbed his keys and drove to Gibbs' house, where he found the said man working on his boat in his basement when he entered the room.

''Hey Gibbs.''

The older man turned to look at him.
''Hey Torres. Everything all right?''

Nick stopped in front of Gibbs after he had walked down the stairs.
''I guess I could use some advice'' he admitted.

''What's up?''

''I may have kinda lost my wedding ring.'' Nick revealed after hesitating for some seconds, not proud of it at all.

''Have you searched for it?'' Gibbs didn't really show any reaction to the younger man's statement, just having the same expression on his face as before while he continued working on his boat.

''Yes, everywhere in the apartment, every place I could think of.'' Nick's voice was louder now, he was desperate.

''And now you're wondering whether or not to tell Bishop about it?'' Gibbs always seemed to know everything. If only he knew where his wedding band is, Nick thought, but nodded at the assessment of his boss.

The older of the two men now ceased what he was doing and turned to gaze at Nick.
He laid down the tool he had used to work on his boat as before he spoke.
''I think you already know what to do. Lies never lead anywhere. When in a relationship, honesty is always the best policy, even if the truth is unpleasant.'' Gibbs told Nick, looking him in the eye.

Nick thought about that for just a few seconds.
''You're right, I should tell her. Thanks for the advice, Gibbs.''
the younger man responded slowly, while the older one just gave a nod in response, the tiniest smile on his lips.

Saying good bye to Gibbs, Nick left his boss's house again and drove home.

When he entered the apartment, he caught sight of Ellie, who had returned before him and was sitting on the couch, apparently watching a movie on TV.
At the sound of the door opening, she turned around and smiled at him when she saw him, afterwards motioning to him to come sit beside her on the couch, which he did with a smile of his own.

Nick put his arm around her shoulder as she leaned into him, her head resting against his shoulder.
They just stayed like that for some time, both contently snuggled up while they watched the movie.

Not wanting to ruin the mood -or the rest of their day off- Nick decided to wait until the evening to tell her. Maybe she wouldn't be quite as angry after she had eaten the delicious dinner he was going to cook for them and her stomach was full.
She always seemed to be happier when she wasn't hungry, after all.

When the time had finally come and the two were sitting at the dining table again, their dinner already eaten up, Nick was quite nervous.

Still, he had said he'd tell her, so that was what he was going to do.

Clearing his throat to get her attention, their eyes met and he finally admitted the loss of his wedding ring.
''Ellie, there's something I need to tell you'' he started, earning a curious look from her.

''I...uh...I may have kinda...lost my wedding ring...'' Waiting for her reaction, he was surprised when the expression on her face was one of remembrance before she actually let out a small laugh.
Just why did she laugh at that?

''Oh, yeah, about that...I actually found it laying on the floor of the bathroom this morning, after my shower. I meant to give it back to you immediately afterwards so I put it into my pocket, but then I kinda forgot about it because I got a little distracted when I smelled the amazing breakfast you had made and it didn't cross my mind anymore up until now.'' she told him as she took his wedding band out of her pocket and gave it to him.

Nick just stared at her with an open mouth for a few seconds, causing her to smile before he regained his composure and let out a small chuckle, relieved at that unexpected but welcome outcome.