Chapter 35: Megatron Rising; Part One

It was a warzone.

Smoke and smog overwhelmed her olfactory sensors and her optics kept glitching, unable to tell the difference between an object and the unmoving husk of a once living functioning being. Everything hurt- both physically and mentally and it was a true wonder she was even online at this point.

She opened her mouth and tried to speak. Not a sound was produced from her voicebox, not even static. Shakily, she pushed herself up to her elbows and slowly turned her helm around, trying to locate her friends through the smoke.

The smoke cleared and the only thing she found herself seeing was a pair of red optics gazing at her. They were so blank and apathetic, as though they were gazing down on dirt on the bottom of their pedes.

She felt her entire body stop functioning. Joints froze as though they were rusted and weren't oiled for stellar cycles; circuits refusing to function and systems pausing as though they were shut down.

A blade was raised high. The metallic weapon gleamed menacingly and then it turned into a blurred arc as it came down, down, down-

'No....no.....no...NOOOOOOO-'

^^*************^^

"NOOOO!!!!" Mantis screeched, voice raw as she shot up her berth. Her chasis rose and fell like waves, her spark banging against her spark chamber like a drum.

Her helm whipped side to side, optics darting everywhere. She was....in her room. Her succulents were still sitting there daintily where she had arranged them, her anime posters were hung up on her walls and the fairy lights gazed down from above the rafters.

'Not again......' she thought with a groan, massaging her temples where she felt a processor ache forming. She's been having these darn nightmares for 4 days straight! At this point, she was tempted to ask Ratchet to actually rewire her core programming in her processor.

"It's just a stupid nightmare." She muttered to herself as she tied her disheveled dreads back into her usual style. 'I blame Sari for telling me.....that. It's probably why I have these nightmares.' She told herself.

As Mantis gazed outside the window however, she couldn't help but look back on it. Usually she'd forget these kind of nightmares by now- that's just how they worked. They'd swoop in, scare the lubricant out of you then you'd wake up and go all hysterical or in shock but then it'd slowly fade away until you can barely recall fragments of it.

But no. Instead it was still fresh in her processor.

'Is it some kinda vision? Some kinda sign? A.....what was the word? Precognitive dream? What am I, a psychic?' Mantis asked herself as she walked down the corridors to the main room.

"Morning, sister." Prowl greeted.

"Morning." She said distractedly. Then she decided that maybe telling someone else might get it off her chassis.

"Brother, do you believe in precognitive dreams?" she blurted out.

Prowl paused then turned around to look at her, slightly puzzled.

"Pardon?" he asked.

"You know...." Mantis said, suddenly feeling stupid for asking something as ridiculous as this. "Dreams that....tell you something. Like something bad's gonna happen in the future or something."

"......did you have a nightmare?" Prowl asked. He once again mentally cursed at himself. He should've considered the possibility that Mantis might suffer from some form of PTSD, even if they are just nightmares.