Chapter 27: Survival of the Fittest

"HIYAAAA!!" Sari yelled at the top of her lungs as she jump kicked. A 'THUNK' reverberated through the air as her foot landed on Prowl's pede.

"Oof!" she grunted as she fell down very ungracefully onto her butt. "Ow......" she moaned from the pain.

Prowl and Mantis sighed and facepalmed. Prowl briefly wondered what kind of universal force was able to bestow infinite patience upon Yoketron but not him.

"Sari, you need to concentrate." He explained again.

"Find your opponent's weak spot first, then  attack." Mantis added.

"Give her a break guys." Bulkhead defended. "Humans don't have turbo balance thrusters." He said as he gave Sari a hand in getting back up.

"Or padded bumpers." She whimpered as she rubbed her aching behind.

"I'm afraid Prowl and Mantis are right. As keeper of the key, Sari is a potential target of the Decepticons." Optimus said.

"No offence but I think she already is." Mantis said.

"Exactly, which is all the more reason she must learn to defend herself." He said.

"We won't always be there to protect you. Now try again and...this time thrust with your legs like this." Prowl said. Then he demonstrated for her, thrusting his leg out with a resounding 'snap'.

"Got it this time! No worries." Sari said.

"KEE-YAAA!!" she kicked again and........flew straight past Prowl and ended up hitting Bulkhead's pede instead before once again falling onto the ground.

Sari released a cry of frustration and Bulkhead, wanting to at least give her some credit for her dedication despite her failings decided to humor her a bit.

"Oh, the pain!" he bemoaned, clutching his 'hurt' pede and hopping up and down. "What a kick!" he added.

Mantis thought it was sweet that the big bot was trying to play along but.......in all honesty, she would've been pretty offended at his acting if she were in Sari's shoes.

Bulkhead hopped around and accidentally crashed into a stack of crates in the process.

"....too much?" he asked.

Mantis and Bee gave him a 'ya think?' look in reply.

Mantis sighed and walked over to the frustrated little girl. Maybe it was time for a more down to Earth approach. She crouched down so she was level with the girl.

"Sari, you ever heard the saying don't run before you walk?" she asked.

"Yeah." Sari replied, wondering why they were talking about philosophy now.

"Well in this case, don't do a jumping kick until you can do an actual kick on the ground. And before you actually kick, maybe you should train your body to be able to throw a decent one first." Mantis said.

"Hey! I'm healthy!" Sari said, offended.

Mantis nodded. "But are you strong?" she pointed out.

".....no, not really." She admitted.

"Sari, knowing and doing are two completely different things. You can't make something out of nothing, thus you have to gain something first. Right now, I want you to try something else." Mantis said.