Chapter 5: Her First Test

Stellar cycles ago......

"Primus, it feels like my spark is going to burst out of my chassis." Mantis said as she sat in front of Prowl, a cube of half-consumed energon and a cup of oil in front of her.

"Mm-hm, so you've said for the third time." Prowl said slightly annoyed.

"Sorry, I just can't believe this is really happening. I'm finally going to learn the true arts of Circuit-Su and Mueiyaku and all kinds of other stuff!" Mantis said before taking a sip of her oil, servos shaking slightly.

"I'll be there for support; you won't be alone in this." Prowl comforted.

Mantis smiled. "I know I just hope I won't disappoint you or Shifu today." She said.

Prowl gently reached over and patted her helm. "You've got this. You're just worrying too much."

"You really think so?" Mantis asked.

"I know so." Prowl said sincerely.

Mantis smiled and he smiled back, he's been smiling more often lately when he was around her and....he didn't mind. He didn't mind spending time around Mantis, he didn't mind talking to her though she did most of the talking, he didn't mind going out for a simple stroll or to run an errand with her nor did he mind just being able to be there beside her as she drew- apparently drawing was a hobby of hers and she seemed to be quite good at it....as good as a youngling can be that is.

He also found that he was now....happier in a way. He felt lighter and like he's finally found his place in the universe.

"Are you going to eat that energon?" Mantis asked. It was then Prowl realized he had spaced out and stared at his energon cube like a lunkhead. "You seem to have a habit of spacing out to go prowling around in your own little world, get it?" she said with a grin at the pun.

Prowl rolled his optics. At times her humor isn't as amusing as she thought. "Hilarious." He said sarcastically.

"Good to know you've still got some sarcasm programmed in you." Mantis quipped back. Another thing he's learned about her- she can be pretty sassy and snarky when she wants to be, she knows a thing or two about quips and witty comebacks.

Soon Prowl found himself standing in the training room with Mantis waiting for Yoketron. Mantis knelt beside him with her servos on her knees and Prowl was beside her in a similar position.

For a megacycle, they sat there like that and patiently waited.......for a megacycle that is.

Soon Mantis was fidgeting and her digits were twitching. "Where is he?" she asked and looked around for the absent wise Cyber-Ninja.

"Maybe he's...still recharging?" Prowl suggested.

Mantis snorted. "Oh please, you should know by now that Shifu is capable of many things, but I highly doubt him over-recharging is one of them." She said. As if Yoketron of all bots would oversleep on a cycle like this.

Prowl saw her point which left him even more confused. He knew that his master's timing was as precise as his movements, so where was he?

"Do you hear that?" Mantis asked in a whisper.

"Hear what?" Prowl couldn't help but ask back in a whisper.

They both high-tuned their audio receptors and heard it- a pair of heavy pede-steps.