55: Why she's beautiful

That next day, Theodore and Maggie decided to get ice-cream in the city. When Theodore finished his last class for the day, he headed towards Dianne's. Maggie wouldn't finish her shift for another twenty minutes so Theodore hung around and tried listening to a lecture on his phone. However, yet again, he found his mind wandering back to Maggie.

He didn't want to admit it, because it would mean he couldn't study at the café anymore, but Maggie was his biggest distraction.

"Arthur," Maggie said, leaning over the counter to greet an elderly man, "how are you?"

"It's getting cold outside," he answered, pushing his glasses further up his nose. "I've lost all my hair so Teena has knitted me a hat."

He pointed at the brightly coloured woollen hat sitting on top of his head. Maggie reached over and gently tapped on the bauble on top.

"Eighty-five and still stylish. Hot chocolate is on the house today," she said.

"Sweetheart, you give me hot chocolate on the house every time I come in," he said, giving her a warm smile. With some small steps he used his cane to slowly shuffle himself out of the way so the queue of caffeine-desperate students could get their afternoon shot of energy.

"How is Teena?" Maggie asked as she began making Arthur 's drink.

"Enjoying her degree. She changed to nursing, you know."

She smiled. Theodore couldn't help but notice that it held a hint of sadness. "I know."

"She has a new boyfriend too."

"Ah," Maggie said, taking a spoon and stirring it into a bright orange mug. "Is he nice?"

"Don't really know the chap," Arthur said. "But he better treat her right."

"No one looks after Teena better than you do," Maggie said and rounded the counter to escort Arthur to a table. She picked one under a vent to keep him warm.

Arthur unravelled the blue scarf from around his neck and folded it into his lap. "Teena made me this too."

"It's very beautiful," she said. "It looks very warm."

"It does a great job of keeping me toasty," he said, taking his mug and having a sip. "So does this wonderful hot chocolate. When are you going to tell me the secret to making it so good?"

"I told you it's an old family secret. You have to be family. So unless you're willing to marry me, Arthur?"

Arthur's bushy eyebrows rose up his wrinkled forehead and his parched lips gaped open. "Oh, I would never do that to Marybeth. She is the love of my life. I guess the secret will have to remain a secret."

They spent more of the afternoon talking. Arthur told Maggie stories of when he was younger and Maggie listened with her elbows on the table, chin resting in her palms. She nodded politely and commented where there were breaks. At one point, she went back to the counter and brought him back a powdered donut hole, at which Arthur seemed positively delighted. His eyes lit up, his smile wide, and he engulfed the whole thing. He had powdered sugar on his lips for the remainder of their conversation.

"Grandpa!"

Theodore heard a woman's voice from the doorway and he turned to see a young curly-haired woman by the door. She was wearing a blue uniform under a tan trench coat and she looked like business, but had kind eyes.

"Hi, Teena," Maggie said. "Arthur and I were just catching up."

"Oh, Teena!" Arthur said loudly, giving a bright smile. He clapped his hands together happily. "Come join us."

"I'm sorry. We have appointments to go to, Grandpa. We best get moving," she said, picking up his hat and plopping it back on his head.

"Oh dear, has time gone by that quickly already?" Arthur said, handing up his scarf so his granddaughter could wrap it around his neck.

"Afraid so," she said. "Thank you so much for everything you've done today, Maggie. I had a feeling he would disappear like this. He's not the biggest fan of his carer, Frankie."

"Frankie?" Arthur said, scrunching up his face in response to hearing the name. "I don't like that woman. I miss Marybeth."

Teena crouched down next to him and gave his hands a squeeze. "I miss Grandma too."

Arthur pursed his lips and looked straight ahead. His chin wobbled.

"I came as quickly as I could from work. The hospital has been very forgiving. Grandpa's memory isn't what it used to be. He's forgetting more and more. We've decided to put him in assisted community living and he hasn't taken it well. I had a feeling he would have come to you. You are always so kind to him."

"He's always just as kind back," Maggie said. "Homes like that can be very supportive. Lots of social opportunities and fun activities to participate in."

"Exactly. Grandpa deserves so much more than I am able to provide at the moment. I want him to get the care he needs."

"I can imagine it's even harder now that you're planning a wedding."

Tenna looked down at her hands, a small smile appearing on her lips. She fiddled with the white gold band around her finger, the square cut diamond glittering with the movement.

"It was a difficult decision, but I think it was the best option. So, thank you again, Maggie. You have no idea how much of a positive impact you are on my family. I hope you RSVP yes to the wedding."

"I wouldn't miss it."

Teena smiled and helped Arthur to his feet. Once he was standing, she escorted him out towards the exit.

"Looks like you were spoilt today," Teena said, wiping the corners of her grandpa's lips with her thumb. "Have you been eating donuts?"

"Oh yes," Arthur said. "And they were delicious."

Just as they were about to exit, Teena said her final thank you.

And so did Arthur. "Thank you, Dianne! See you next time!"

Maggie's smile was bittersweet.