48: When university started

Dating over the summer had been a bit of a bust, but it did keep him occupied. Before he knew it, it was move-in week and Theodore's Corolla was packed to the brim with his things. He never realised how much junk he owned until he was forced to put his belongings in boxes.

Helen had taken the day off to have breakfast with Theodore and help him transfer his things. The student accommodation he had selected was a small house that he would share with five other students. The rooms were small, but they each had the privacy of their own bedrooms with a shared kitchen, two bathrooms, and a common living and dining area. Although Theodore was only moving closer into the city, a mere hour and a half away from his mother, Helen was in absolute ruins thinking about leaving her boy behind. So, as a moving out gift, she bought him a mini fridge, which, in his tiny room did not look so mini.

"Mum it's fucking huge."

"Theodore, don't swear," Helen said. She crossed her arms and chewed on her lip before whispering, "God, it really is fucking huge."

Theodore's room was already cramped and it didn't even have all his stuff in it yet. Between the single bed, the mini fridge, small wardrobe and little desk jammed in the corner, there wasn't exactly much room for anything else. A small strip of carpet allowed him to walk into the room and then back out. He was expecting tiny living, but this was also boarder line a closet.

"We will figure everything out," Helen announced. However, her optimism was not shared. "We will just focus on getting your things all set up. I'll start hanging up your clothes. You get all your boxes."

Theodore saluted his mother. When she was in organisation mode, there was no arguing. You either did what she said or got out of her way. And since this was the place he would be living for the next twelve months, he couldn't exactly bail. On his way back out to the car, a black Subaru parked beside him.

Theodore waited for them to cut the engine before circling around to grab more boxes. As he was taking the one with his bedding, a guy with shoulder-length sandy hair stepped out from the driver's side of the black Subaru.

"First day?"

Theodore looked up and blinked at him. "Isn't it everyone's first day?" he said slowly.

"I mean, technically? It's not exactly mine. I started last year, but switched degrees. So it's my second year studying at university, but first day of this degree. I did economics. Are you doing economics? Don't do it, man."

"I'm doing teaching," Theodore said, kicking his door shut. "But thanks for the pro tip."

"Teachers are pretty cool. Want to see something else cool?"

Theodore wasn't sure what to expect. It was university, so he figured he would experience a lot of new things. Surely he would be subject to some peer pressure, might be offered drugs, maybe some alcohol mixtures close to straight up poison. What he was not expecting, however, was the guy to pull a hamster out of his pocket.

"This is Dotti."

Theodore stared at the little grey creature. He didn't exactly know what to say, but out came, "Are we allowed pets?"

"No, but you're not going to tell, are you?"

"No?"

"That didn't sound very convincing."

"No," Theodore answered more affirmatively.

The guy smiled. "I think we're going to be good friends."

Theodore hesitated. Was he gently bullied into a friendship?

"My name is Julien, by the way. I'll claim the room next to yours."

Julien put his hamster back into the pocket of his jacket and walked towards the house. Theodore was a man of few words, but this situation truly stunned him into silence. Shaking his head, he grabbed the boxes he had taken out and hauled them into the house. When he came back into his room, Helen was folding his shirts into those little squares he could never make.

When she saw him enter, the first thing she said was, "One of your housemates has a hamster."

"I know," Theodore said. University was going to be interesting.

Helen and Theodore continued unpacking the rest of his things. Helen focused on the wardrobe and Theodore organised his desk and bed. They had managed to get a second hand laptop from one of the nursing students at the hospital Helen worked at. It was small and compact and had all the necessary applications for a smooth sailing year of study. Theodore hung up a towel on the back of his door, along with his toiletries and stuffed his drawers with all the other miscellaneous junk he apparently thought was necessary to bring.

When everything was set, it was late afternoon and there were some orientation week events happening on the main part of campus so Theodore and a majority of his new housemates decided to get some drinks together. One girl stayed behind to set up more of her things since she had arrived late. So Theodore said his final goodbyes to his mother, promising to drive down every weekend for family dinner. And after Helen cried a little more, she got in her car.

Drinks with Theodore's other housemates was not as awkward and uncomfortable as he thought it would be, but perhaps that was due to the liquid courage coursing through his veins. They discovered none of them were doing the same degree, so they would most likely not cross paths very often. They ended up staying out until late, bar hopping to different events. Theodore was already socially drained by nine though, so he managed to slip past everyone and sneak back into his dorm.

It was quiet back at the house and Theodore cherished the time he finally got to spend on his own. Looking at the foot of his bed at the mini fridge, he sighed. It looked so big in such a tiny room. But now that Theodore was alone, it seemed so tiny. He felt so tiny.

He got up from his bed and opened it up. He was expecting to see an empty fridge, but instead it was stored with some of his favourite chilled snacks like chocolate pudding and cream cheese dip and a collection of fizzy drinks to enjoy. But what caught his eye the most was the little takeout container. Theodore opened it up and peeked inside to find his favourite noodle dish from his favourite Chinese restaurant. Helen must have made one last visit before she went home to make sure his fridge was stocked and ready.

I love you too, Mum.