31: Who she's with

Chemistry homework was not Theodore's ideal way to spend a Wednesday afternoon, but if he went back to school without his modules completed, he was convinced he should probably drop out. It would have been better than the stress endured trying to catch up.

"Running out of brain cells yet?"

Theodore pressed his fingers against his temples. "I have a total of three point eight left."

"That's a very specific number."

He turned around to grin at his mother who was leaning against his bedroom door frame. "They diminish in increments. Why are you here?"

Helen crossed the room and planted a kiss on her son's forehead. "I happen to live here."

"You know what I mean. You weren't meant to be home until later."

"My shift changed, which was good because I kept thinking about all that left over Chinese food in our fridge. I'm going to heat it up, do you want some?"

Helen loved Chinese food. It was her favourite. But when it came to left over Chinese food microwaved to steaming perfection? That was a different story. She was convinced that it had extreme healing powers. Although a nurse, she believed that the food had the ability to cure any disease better than medicines and testing could. 

"How is that even a question?"

Helen grinned, pleased with his response. "Come downstairs and help me set up then. We still have a couple of fortune cookies left. Want to open them together? Whoever gets the crappier fortune gets to have the last dumpling."

Theodore couldn't resist the offer. The fortune cookies were his favourite part of Chinese take away. So, abandoning his notes, he followed his mother downstairs to help set the table.

As the food heated in the microwave, Helen grabbed the last two fortune cookies and handed one to Theodore. On the count of three, they cracked them open, brushing away excess crumbs to showcase the little slips of folded paper with only a few words that would predict their fates.

"Love is right around the corner. Too bad you're living in a circle," Helen read after she gave an impressive snort. "It's so damn accurate that I'm actually laughing and crying on the inside. What does yours say because I'm convinced I have a winner here."

"You will blink at least twice today."

Helen didn't say anything.

"Well, it's not a lie," Theodore said.

"You're pulling my leg, give me that." His mother took the slip of paper from his hands and read over the writing. "Well... I suppose the restaurant is running out of things to put on these. I wonder who writes them."

"Not sure, but if there's ever a job opening, I'm applying."

Helen smiled before throwing the fortunes away. 

"I think we're both winners. We'll split the dumpling." 

Together, the two ate, brainstorming ideas to put into fortune cookies. It was far better than Theodore's homework and even after all the food was gone, the discussion continued. It was such an invigorating change from being cooped up in his room for so long that he hadn't realised how much time had passed. 

By the time he caught sight of the clock, it was already time to get ready for dinner. Helen took their dishes to the sink for a quick rinse before she started up cooking.

"Theodore, would you mind taking out the rubbish? The garbage people come over tomorrow so you have to roll the bins out to the front."

"Sure, I'll be back in a second."

Taking the lining out, he tied the bag and headed outside. Dumping it into the bin and throwing the recyclables in the other, he wheeled them both across the front lawn and placed them at the curb for pick up.

Dusting his hands on his jeans, he turned to leave, but as he did so, he caught side of the neighbouring house. His heart froze for a moment, temporarily forgetting how to beat. But once it recovered, his pulse started hammering at twice its normal speed.

He wasn't sure why he was feeling this way.

He wasn't sure why he was unable to move.

He wasn't sure why his eyes were unable to peel away from them.

From Autumn and Winston.