18: When girls unite

That same night after Helen had fallen asleep, Theodore snuck outside to meet Autumn. It was already two in the morning by the time he got the chance to see her. She crept out through the back door of her house and pulled a hoodie over the top of her pyjamas as she walked across the lawn.

"God, I'm so sorry I'm late," he said. "Did I wake you?"

"Not at all." Though her smile was a little sleepy.

"That was a stupid question. Of course I woke you up. It's two in the bloody morning," he laughed nervously, dipping his head and running his fingers through his hair. "I don't know what I was thinking, just calling out of the blue. Today's been a bit rough. I just..."

Theodore trailed off because the words in his head seemed better unspoken.

I missed you today.

Autumn simply took his hand in hers and gently tugged him down until they were both on the grass. Their backs were pressed against the ground, their eyes on the stars, their heads in the clouds. It felt like the tightening in his chest had been loosened and he could finally breathe.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Beside him, Autumn yawned.

"I'm sorry... You're so tired. Go back to bed, we'll talk tomorrow."

"No," she said quietly. "I've been looking forward to this all day."

He lit up like a Christmas tree. "All day?"

"Shut up, Theodore." But she was smiling too. 

He turned his cheek away from her to hide his smile. "Tell me what you got up to tonight."

"Let's see...I ate an entire pizza by myself. It was pepperoni and it was probably one of the best decisions of my life."

Theodore thought it was impossible to adore a girl as much as he did in that single moment. But then again, he always felt that way whenever he learnt something new about her. Whether it was something challenging or something inspirational or something ridiculous, his heart always picked up the pace and did a familiar little squeeze of affection. 

"I also had a couple of friends over and we watched a bunch of movies," Autumn continued. 

"What are your friends like?"

"Absolutely insane...but I adore them to pieces." She sighed a little, her voice becoming small as she said, "I'm going to miss them when school ends."

"It's never goodbye, only see you later."

"See you later," she whispered and the ghost of a small crossed her lips.

"So, when do I get to meet them?"

"You know, I talk about you so much that they've already kind of met you."

His heart soared. "You talk about me?"

This time, it was Autumn's turn to tilt her head to the side to contain her smile. "Always."