29: Why she's upset

Eventually, the two decided to go back inside. Theodore invited Autumn to stay the night. It didn't feel right to let her go back home when she was still upset. But instead of going upstairs, he stayed in the living room with her. They put on a movie to watch and huddled on the couch under the same thick blankets.

"Are you sure you're comfortable?"

"Snug."

Theodore nodded, eyes set on the TV. He watched for a few silent moments before he repeated, "Are you sure?"

"Theodore," Autumn said, smiling, "your clothes are soft and warm and I'm comfortable, okay?"

He glanced at her. "They're not too big?"

"Perfectly oversized."

"I can go find something else."

"What I'm wearing is fine."

"I just didn't want you wearing your dress all night. As incredible as you looked in it, I figured you'd start getting a little uncomfortable in it and I wanted you to be warm. You didn't look very warm-"

Autumn pressed the tips of her icy fingers against his lips. "Theodore, everything is perfect."

He kept his eyes clued on her, watching the subtle quirk of her lips, searching the darkness under her eyes. 

"Almost everything," he whispered.

She gently took her hand away, expressionless. She turned and looked back the screen of the television, allowing the soft blue glow of the scene to illuminate her features and cast shadows over her face.

"My parents..." Autumn trailed off, a tear rolling down her cheek.

Theodore didn't need any more of an explanation. He simply placed a pillow on his lap and guided her to rest on it. He ran his fingers through her hair, soothing her until her eyelids became heavy.

Sometimes silence is the best form of comfort.

This was one of those times.