22: When Helen interrupts

On the weekend, Autumn went next door to Theodore's house. Their relationship was fresh and wild and adventurous, but the couple found themselves doing something that definitely didn't reflect that. Instead, they decided to nap together.

They had spent a majority of their time having late-night phone calls and moonlit conversations. Their sleep schedules were off the rails but they couldn't be happier. Taking some time out of their lazy Sunday afternoon to rest was an absolute blessing, especially when they were side by side.

Theodore only had a single bed, which was barely enough for his lanky body but they made it work. He was sprawled out in the small space, Autumn nestled peacefully in his arms. Movies and books made cuddling seem so god damned cute and easy. Theodore was starting to realise what an awfully beautiful lie that was. His limbs were stiff, his muscles aching in discomfort. But he didn't dare to complain because of the beautiful, dark-haired beauty he had the absolute delight of having next to him.

Theodore was drifting at the edge of his dreams, not quite asleep when he heard a distant knocking. He wasn't sure if it was a figment of his imagination or not. Either way, he didn't move. He remained on his bed with his eyes closed, willing the noise to go away.

It didn't, of course.

Helen knocked louder. "Laundry!"

Theodore stirred, forcing himself back into awareness. "Mum, today isn't the day you do the washing."

Autumn mumbled something in her sleep, flipping onto her stomach. Her head rested against his shoulder, her arm draped lazily over his stomach. Helen hesitantly opened the door and poked her head inside.

"You had a couple of things in the machine so I thought I'd give them a quick soak. They're dry now." Helen stepped into Theodore's room and produced a single pair of socks rolled up into a little ball. She took her time placing them away, and when she was finished, a strangely familiar box sat on top of the drawers.

"Oh my god," Theodore groaned.

"I'm going to go to work now, okay?"

"Mum, we're just napping."

Helen held up her two fingers on each hand and made invisible inverted commas with them. "Napping," she repeated.

Theodore was turning into a ripe little tomato with embarrassment. 

"No, we're literally napping." He gestured at Autumn to emphasise his point.

"Well, I hope you practice safe napping."

"Mum. You're killing me."

She smiled innocently. "I love you, Theodore."

"I love you too, Mum."

Helen abruptly left, and even though she was gone, Theodore's cheeks were still sizzling. He could fry a damn egg on his face from the burning heat. Beside him, Autumn stirred. She was waking up. It took a couple of seconds before her eyes slowly opened. She squinted up at Theodore.

"I've never seen anyone blush so much."

"I'm not blushing."

"It's incredible," she said sleepily, running her fingers down his jaw.

Theodore's lips lifted into a tender smile.

Autumn drew her hand back and stretched, flipping into her other side. She remained still for a moment too long. Theodore thought she had fallen back asleep.

Then she said, "Are those condoms?"

Theodore's face experienced a whole new shade of scarlet.