28: When stars fall

"Do you believe in love?"

Theodore swallowed. "Yes."

"What is it?"

"It's the most pleasurable pain in the world."

"How romantic. Why do people crave it then?"

Theodore chuckled softly, watching as his laughter materialised before him in the icy air. "Love is just overwhelming. It's something you feel wholeheartedly, it's a million different emotions. People think love is purely happiness but it's much more than that. It's the feeling of pride whenever they do something. It's the feeling of frustration when you can't protect them. It's the feeling of fear, knowing one day you could lose them."

It's the feeling I get when I'm with you.

"Love seems complicated," Autumn whispered, but there was a tender look in her eyes as she gazed at Theodore.

"You know, when I said you needed a distraction, I didn't think we'd start with a conversation on love. Shouldn't we have started with something lighter, like the reasoning behind our existence and if it's all worth it?"

"Your sarcasm works wonders on me, Theodore. I'm absolutely smitten."

"The fact that you practically inhaled a giant bar of chocolate in record timing is what won me over."

"In that case, I can totally do it again." 

Autumn reached over and grabbed another bar of chocolate. This one had little squares of raspberry jelly inside. She began unwrapping the foil before Theodore laughed and stopped her.

"You're going to make yourself sick," he said, grabbing the chocolate and placing it behind his back.

"It would be a kind distraction though."

"How about a different kind of distraction?" Theodore suggested. "Count the stars with me."

He rearranged their positions until he was on his back, Autumn resting her head against his shoulder, her body pressed against his side with her arm draped over his middle. He tucked the blankets around them and held her close, relishing their intimacy.

As soon as they were both comfortable, they looked up at the sky. Theodore glanced at the inky darkness, swirled with wispy clouds. Looking up at the sky at night was so mesmerising, so beautiful and infinite and free. He felt so content searching the heavens, so hopeful of what he might find.

"Theodore."

He blinked, feeling Autumn's warm breath and against his ear before he looked down and gazed at her tenderly.

"There's one problem with your plan."

"And what is that?"

"There are no stars in the sky tonight."

Theodore looked back up and realised that her statement was true. How did he not realise it earlier?

"I wonder where the stars went," Autumn whispered.

He glanced back down at her. The corners of the blankets had slipped to expose her bare, slender shoulder and the dainty strap of her dress. Suddenly, Theodore had memories of her from earlier that night. The way the material of her skirt spun as she danced and moved fluidly as she walked. The way the little embroidered gems glittered under the lighting of the room.

Suddenly, he knew exactly where all the stars had gone.

"I think the heavens made a deal with a girl, promising her to wear the night sky for an evening."

"She must have looked beautiful."

He couldn't help but smile. "No...extraordinary."