Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven: Servitude

  Korosu fingers her new outfit, the plain cream dress hanging slightly from her slim figure. The old woman eyes her with sorrow.

"You're too pretty. He'll call you for sure before the night ends. It's a shame you did not come in here scarred."

Korosu tilts her head. She feels no fear when she imagines herself being called to the Master's chambers, quite the opposite in fact. Her blood warms at the idea of sinking her daggers into the Master's throat and ending his pathetic life. The world won't shed a tear.

"I'll keep my head down." Korosu makes no indication of her real thoughts by keeping her voice meek.

"That will not be enough, but for now I will help protect you." The woman smiles slightly. "You remind me of my daughter and her damn stubbornness."

"I don't know your name?" Korosu says out loud, the thought just arising.

This older woman has an air of grandmotherly love about her that suggests taking care of younger kids for a long time. Korosu wants to know her name at the very least. And also to keep the older woman from prying.

The old woman laughs dryly. "Chi."

"Hebi."

"Serpent?"

"My older brother named me. My parents died after I was born so he took it upon himself to name and raise me." Korosu laughs sheepishly, the lie rolling off her tongue with ease. It doesn't feel like a lie, though. When she had been out on the streets she had fantasized about having an older brother, one who would love and take care of her and not care about her faults. Of course that had all been a fantasy.

The old woman pats her hand in sympathy. Korosu smiles sadly back, keeping the sadness in her eyes until Chi turns away. Once the old woman's back turned, Korosu rolls her shoulders and lightly taps heself on the cheek. Time to emerse herself into her new role of palace life and servitude. She'll find the boy and kill the Master and then get the hell out of this country and never come back.

"Follow me, child." Chi calls, her aged hand beckoning her.

Korosu sighs and edges closer, her red orbs gleaming. Looking over Chi's shoulder, she marks the distance between the door and the guard heading their way. He looks no older than her, maybe a few years, but the dullness in his eyes speak of a man older than his years. She'll have to ask Chi about it later, but now is not the time.

Bowing her head, Korosu shields herself behind Chi's slightly larger frame, making herself as small as possible. A meek servant gains no attention, but a proud one begs to be seen and looked upon; Korosu is the later of the two, but for today she will take on the meek servant attitude- benefitting her desires.

"What's this, Chi, picked up a stray?" The guard stops, his eyes scanning Korosu.

Bristling, Korosu steps further behind Chi. Anger would get her nowhere but in trouble. Chi, though, smiles at the boy. "It's good to see you again, Takashi."

Interesting. This boy knows Chi's name, even though she's a lowly servant. Raising her eyes, she gazes at the boy through her lashes, stashing his face in the back of her memories. If he knows Chi by her name, he must sympathize with her or at least a little bit; giving Korosu some bit of hope of finding a friendly face willing to help or at least let her escape when the time calls for it.

"The wound held me back for awhile, thanks to the Master and his first hand man." Resentment enters Takashi's eyes and voice.

Korosu stops looking through her lashes and finally takes a good look at his features. Recognition hits both guard and servant. Takashi blinks, but otherwise shows no indication of surprise or acknowledgment. Korosu lowers her eyes, mystified. More trails keep leading back to this place.