Chapter Two

Chapter Two: Oddity

Gentle nudges wake Korosu the following morning, snapping her from the nightmare of being hunted like lowly prey, crimson eyes taunting her from the shadows. Her body had been ore exhausted than she had realized.

Her eyes flutter open, desperately searching for the warmth touching her not moments before. Familiar dark eyes focus in to view and wash away the edges of panic lacing and snaring around her.

"Itachi ..." Korosu breaths, sweat drips down her spine.

"It's time." He helps her sit up before removing his hands and stepping away from the bedside. Itachi's careful not to touch her longer than necessary.

Korosu shivers as he walks away, the warmth once beside her now gone; leaving her to fend the cold, and the darkness swirling just below alone.

Slipping out of the millions of blankets, she slowly lowers her feet to touch the wooden floors. Half asleep, she doesn't notice Kisame watching them from the doorway. He watches Itachi turn away from their dark haired companion, his eyes closing, and hands curling by his side. Or, how Korosu's trail after you just a little longer before flickering away.

Their relation puzzles Kisame. Korosu didn't open up much to anyone, but Itachi seemed to be already residing in her heart. He knew Itachi had taken her under his wing when she had first arrived (Kisame thought he would considering they both came from the Leaf Village) and it was normal for a close bond to form. Kisame only wondered how dangerous this bond was? As much as he despised it, and hated the fact, Korosu only had so long.

"Korosu, hurry up. We don't have all damn day." Kisame knocks loudly on the wall. Stepping into the room, he throws a bag at her, forgetting his dark thoughts.

Even half asleep her reflexes are amazing. She glances up and catches the bag effortlessly in one hand, sliding it open to reveal a black kimono. Like old times ...

"Who said I was wearing a kimono?" She hisses.

"Pein-sama." Kisame glares back. "And it's part of the mission! People will be seeing the mask not you, baka." He knows how much it hurt her to see that kimono.   

"Don't insult me, fish sticks!" Korosu snaps and leaps from the bed, eyes alight with the idea of a fight. Anything to get the uneasiness to go away.

Itachi snatches her around the waist before she lands one on Kisame. Bringing her to his chest, he leans down and whispers in her ear. "He's teasing you, wear the kimono and let's get going, Ko."

He's irritated. Sighing heavily, she wiggles from his hold and slumps to the ground. "Get out! I can't have people watching me change!"

Chuckling, both males walk out the room and shut the door behind them, leaving her to change in peace.

Scowling fiercely, she chucks her clothes off and drags the soft black fabric of the kimono over her body. It feels like poison touching her skin.

She stopped wearing kimonos after leaving the Leaf Village and opted for shorts and long-sleeved shirts. Swallowing thickly, Korosu bites her tongue and hurls the door open with unneeded force. Fumming past them, chin jutted forward in anger, she ignores them.

"Aw, look ..." Kisame throws her over his shoulder despite her attempt to put walk them. "... little Korosu is mad."

"Damn it, put me down!" She growls and thumps her fists against his back.

Itachi holds in an irritated sigh. Kisame and Korosu never got along—acting like rival siblings—and it quickly wore on his nerves constantly and endlessly. He remains silent most the time, but now was not one of those times. "Remain silent or I'll kill you both."