Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine: Battle with the demon and the surprise of a child

Korosu felt the soft embrace of the candle light flicker across her skin; shadows dancing over the walls and over the malicious glint swimming under her dark lashes. Her fingers kiss the metal body of her danger, hidden under the folds of her skirt, before flitting away and back again. It was a comfort. A symbol that she wasn't alone.

Korosu couldn't afford to let the Master know she was carrying and concealing weapons. If he found out she knew her mission would become all the more harder- and the fight would become nearly impossible to win if she lost the cover of surprise over him.

"What are you thinking about, my pet?" Leo's voice floats through the air, authority in each word.

She blinks, masking her inner thoughts, and smiles beautifully up at the man who had become a monster over time. "Nothing in particular my lord, it would seem my mind has simply wandered."

A scowl settles over his features and Leo's blue eyes turn glacial. "Is it another man? Because, Hebi, I can assure you his head will roll if that's the case." When he said her name it was possessive and dark, leaving no doubt in Korosu's mind that she was no longer just a servant in this place.

In ways this was an advantage; it would give her easier access to the place, but in other ways, it was a hindrance. If she was more than a palace servant then she would become more noticeable, but by the implications of Leo's body language and the way they were right now, Korosu did not want to become more than a palace servant. She was beginning to have second doubts on killing the Master this way. But, Korosu supposed, it would be nearly impossible to just slit his throat and be done with it.

She shakes her head and lets an amused chuckle escape her lips. Korosu stares up at Leo with masked eyes. "I was thinking of a man, but not in the way you assume." In truth, she wasn't necessarily lying. She hadn't fully been thinking of a man- well, more like a boy -but Leo's words brought her earlier thoughts rushing back.

His scowl deepens and Leo feels the demon inside of him claw to escape, but with a burst of willpower, Leo contains the demon and hardens his gaze down at the dark haired servant before him. What about this servant girl caused this thing inside of him to become this uncontrollable in her presence? What about her made the demon inside him howl with bloodlust and desire?

She was different, this one. Her dark hair was beautiful under the candlelight, gleaming a color that rivaled the darkest color on the blackest night; her eyes were a soft pale, crimson flickering just under the paleness, and her rosebud lips were mankind's weakness, so tempting and captivating.

This young woman before him was more beautiful than any goddess that could have lived.

Leo crosses his arms over his chest, leaning the small of his back against the table opposite the bed and the girl. "And in what way are my thoughts assumed? Does every human hold the same thoughts?"

Korosu laughs, her eyes turning bitter. Of course every human was different, but their thoughts all ran along the same ideals and patterns. It was as if mankind was wired to think within a pre-made box; given certain barriers and thought paths. Yes, not every human holds the same thoughts, but neither is it hard to guess what thoughts they're having either.

Korosu had learned to never trust a human being. To trust was to be vulnerable. But, she'd also broken this rule. She cared for Itachi, Kisame, the whole of the Akatski, and others she'd left behind in the Leaf Village. It was a rule uneasily broken, and if she were betrayed by them she knew her being would be shattered. She would give into Lucifer ... and Korosu knew there would be no turning back once she gave in.