Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen: Death's love ...

She can't fully breathe. Korosu knows she's breathing, her chest is rising and falling, but her breaths just feel so short—not enough.

Breathe, Korosu. Lucifer wraps his presence around her, the closest he dares to get when he can feel her powers surging so close to the surface. You're not going to die. How many times do I have to tell you: I won't let anything—or anyone—take you away from me.

Korosu shudders, but focuses on Lucifer. She could also see the pleased gleam in Eiichi's eyes that was slowing beginning to piss her the fuck off. The sick bastard—she was done caring if he was a child or not—was enjoying this: was enjoying the pain opening inside of her like a creature starved.

Her breathing evens and a serene expression glides across her features, morphing her face into an almost emotionless mask. She was done playing his game. "So, in this grand scheme of yours—that you've so figured out—I die in each ending?" sarcasm drips from each word.

Something had hardened inside of her.

Eiichi grins, nodding. "You're finally starting to get it." Madness swirls in his gaze. For the first time she didn't see any resemblance to Pein-sama in this orange-headed child.

A slow, lazy, feline-like smile stretches across her face, a little too sharp. "But, you're forgetting. It's not just you and Le—Matsu who have a devil. I have one as well," Korosu leans in closer, edging close enough so her face is inches away from the blooded one of Eiichi's, "and I'll let you in on a little secret: Mine will see the world burn before he allows death to take me. Can you say the same about yours?"

She rises from the chair smoothly, eyes like living flame. Itachi can only stare as he watches her sneer down at Eiichi and then swiftly exit the room—leaving in the whirlwind she'd entered in.

Kisame and Hidan are waiting for her on the other side as soon as the door shuts behind her. She'd been worried about Itachi being in there alone before, but now she knew Eiichi stood little chance against the furious exiled Uchia.

Hidan's magenta eyes are nearly a match for hers in brightness. Kisame looks like he's about to rip someone's throat out and—what surprises Korosu the most—Pein-sama shares the same expression as the other men.

"Pein-sama! I didn't know you were watching?"

Pein-sama's ringed eyes flicker to her, searching her for any injuries. She possesses none and that seems to relax him. "Yes, Korosu. I decided it was best I witnessed what has become of someone I once loved more than air."

Korosu bits her lip. The idea Pein-sama has a child is still not fully wrapping around her brain—especially one like Eiichi. What had happened?

Eiichi wasn't always like this, Lucifer said. Basically his entire essence changed the moment my brother took over.

Korosu's eyebrows knit together. But you haven't changed me?

"What should we do with them?" Kisame asks, eyes training on the integration room. They can sense Itachi in there, his chakra levels spiking every now and then.

Because I won't let it and neither will you. It takes a strong soul to house a demon—an even stronger one to not be swayed.

"Detain the child. No one is allowed in the room with him alone—only pairs. We can't risk whatever is inside of him gaining any control over us. As for Leo—or Matsu, or whichever name is his, let's see if we can start helping him regain his memories." Pein-sama responds, turning away from Eiichi; from the child that used to be his.