Chapter Three

Chapter Three: Stepping into the dark

Korosu stands rooted to the spot, her body tight and tense, waiting for someone to jump out at her and tell her it was all a rouse. But, no one did. The villagers continue with their daily routines. The children laugh and holler. The animals bark and wag their tails. The complete opposite of the main road and market.

Nothing makes sense. Not Usagi being here. Not the black and white difference. Not the turmoil of feelings inside of her. Not the helpless feeling of being alone. But, that doesn't make sense, her feelings were never of feeling alone. Is she picking up the hidden emotions from the people around her? Itachi had noticed her sharp ability to sensing the emotions of the people around her and worked her to the bones on focusing and honing her skill to the point of it becoming perfect and flawless.

A bump sends her stumbling from her position. "Eh! I'm sorry, miss."

Korosu blinks, glancing down to where the voice comes from. A small brown haired child stares up at her with wide innocent eyes. Her eyes soften. Bending down to his height she lifts her hand and ruffles his hair. He reminds her of Kasai. Her heart sinks. She had stolen away once, just once risked the chance of being found out, to see what had become of her coyote and ward. She had found both of them with Naruto, a room cleared out for them and a picture frame of the her, Kasai, and Seikan on the dresser. It had been night, so the risk of her being seen was lower, and Kasai had been sleeping. Some of the roundness had disappeared from his face, but Kasai still looked like her little boy.  Korosu had also went against her better judgement and left him a set of handmade kunai for him beside the picture.

"Be more careful next time," she smiles.

"You're really pretty, miss." The child grins cheekily after nodding his head.

Korosu's cheeks flush slightly. She isn't used to compliments after leaving Konoha. The Akatsuki were made up of all men except for Konan—but the woman was more like a mother figure, so her compliments don't necessarily mean the same thing as when Itachi gave them, rarely, to her.

Korosu takes a second look at the small boy. Noticing for the first time how rugged he looks and worn out. Concern flows through her at imagining this small kid having the same life she did at his tender age. "Are you hungry?"

His head tilts questioningly, brown locks bouncing. "A little but no worries, miss."

"Follow me."

She jerks to her feet and begins walking to one of the dango shops lining the walls. Korosu doesn't glance back once to make sure he's behind her, instead she continues walking and halts in front of the little store.

"Hello, three dangos please." She smiles at the woman behind the counter, holding up three fingers as she speaks.

The plump woman nods politely, tuning around and barks orders to the man working behind her. Korosu feels a slight tug on her kimono, pale fingers dancing across the dark fabric.

"Miss, what are you doing?"

"Ah," she smiles knowingly. "It's a secret."

The boy holds a finger to his puckered lips. "Secret?"

Korosu copies his gesture. "Secret."

The boy's face lights up in a gigantic smile, his blue orbs shinning a brilliant shade of ocean blue. His genuine warmth effects Korosu, causing her to smile for real for once. She can even see a little bit of Naruto in him.

"Here's your dango." The woman draws Korosu's attention away from the boy and back to her.

Thanking the woman, Korosu takes the boy's hand and leads him further through the crowd and to a shady spot surrounded by grass. Plunking down, she pats the spot next to her and hands the boy two dango sticks.