2

Before Ushijima could even begin to talk, Kanai shushes him.

"Okay, before you say anything I am going to apologize. I am very sorry! I really needed to and-"

"I hope you know that you don't just kiss people without even knowing their name." He says and crosses his arms.

"Well oops. I didn't know it was you who I kissed first, but when I saw your face I realized it was actually you! So technically. . . I kinda know you?" She joked and smiled at him.

Then Ushijima said, "I'll forgive you only if you tell me why you had to do that."

"I apologize, was- was I your first kiss? I mean you wouldn't be going this far if it were your second or third. I think."

"Yes but that does not matter. I at least ought to know your name."

The air between them was silent.

"My name? Oh it's Kanai Asami."

"Kanai-san, I hope you will be wary of the people you kiss next time." He glared at her and she felt things crawling up her spine and she wasn't fond of it.

"Heh, I will."

"But I still haven't forgiven you."

"Right. You need a reason. Fine. I'm pretty sure you know Oikawa. He isn't a student here but he was on campus! And I knew he saw me so I kissed you but he's probably pissed that it was you who I kissed." Kanai says and finally takes another bite from her salad.

"You were involved with Oikawa romantically?"

"He wants to pursue a relationship with me, and I," She says and her voice falters "turned him down."

"I didn't know there would be girls who would turn him down."

"I was smitten at first too! But he doesn't give me the butterflies! Or the needles! He certainly isn't the one. I don't think I could handle long distance relationships too. He's playing in Argentina!" His eyes widen but not too much to be noticed.

In his case he did feel those needles and butterflies, was she the one? "Impossible" He thinks. He barely knows her for Kami's sake!
A woman who wore a simple yet flattering outfit approached their table. Kanai doesn't mind while she continues to eat and read. The woman who went to their table along with the three of her friends held out a piece of paper and a black pen.

"U-ushijima-kun! Can we get an autograph please?" She asked but Ushijima turns her down.

"I am afraid I couldn't do so now, I want my attention all to my girlfriend. Perhaps the next time?" Kanai choked and drank cold water from her tumbler. She glares at Ushijima that says "What the fuck?"

"Oh, we're sorry to bother you guys!" They bow in unison and leaves the table and now everyone around their table who has witnessed the scene were murmuring things.

"Hey! What was that?" She hisses while fixing her already finished lunch.

"Sorry, looks like I had to use you too. She kept pestering me since last week at the gym. Excuse me, I'll leave now. I hope you enjoyed your salad." He excuses himself and leaves.

Now what the hell is she going to do with the rumors that will probably start circulating around the university?

This is really bad.

_________________

After the meeting Kanai had two more classes. In the duration of those classes, the vast majority of the students who either saw her or attended the same class with her talked about her status with the famous Ushijima Wakatoshi.

"Asami-chan," She froze. She stopped walking when she heard the familiar voice. Kanai had no choice but to turn around and see the owner of the said voice.

"Tooru-kun."

"Please come with me. I need to talk to you in private." He pleaded and his stare was a mix of disappointment and sadness. Either way, he never forced her to commit to him, in fact he constantly put his efforts so she'd warm up to him. They were close friends and yet his love that eventually became something more in between the years they've been friends, was sadly and will never  be reciprocated. When he saw her kiss the man he isn't really fond of, he knew that he doesn't have any chance with her anymore. He could try but he wouldn't compete in something he could never win in the first place.

"Alright."

They looked for some place quiet and sat down.

"Asami, I know I have no chance with you. At all. But please are you happy? With him?"

"Him?"

"Ushijima."

"Ah, look Tooru. You may have done several  things for me, and the times I've forced myself to love you back- it just won't work. You're always away and Ushijima-san and I aren't a thing. I-I kissed anyone who was near me so you'd stop pursuing me." The last sentence was a hard stinging slap to his face.

"Then I should move on. Shouldn't I?" He said looking down at the ground.

"I am sorry Tooru."

"Save it Asami, I should be the one sorry. Forgive me. I've been blinded by something that couldn't be returned to me."

"I am sorry you have to feel this way, but I forgive you. If you want, we could still be. . . friends ?"

"Yeah, I'd like that." He smiles at her, to prevent his tears that kept forming from falling. He quickly stands up and  turns away to she wouldn't see him crying.

Kanai faces him and hugs him instead, feeling sorry for not being able to love him back.

---

a/n: man i can't believe i used oikawa here when i first wrote this lmao