FORTY-SIX

Maren Morris: The Bones

Around eight in the morning my phone started blowing up, around the same time as Harry's and that was never a good sign.

"Love, what's going on? Why the hell does it sound like there's two earthquake epicentres beneath our nightstands?", Harry not being a fan of waking up, much less being rudely awoken, rubbed his eyes for a good minute before even acknowledging I said something.

"Secret's out teacup. There are photos of us at the airport with Josh and Alyssa, someone caught wind of the Blob and social media blew up with the story, which was later picked up by the tabloids. You know the rest.", he studied my face very timidly; afraid I'd break at any point. It was a bit harder to breathe knowing that it wasn't just our story, but it was now the world's story as well... but there was nothing unexpected about this.

"Okay. It was bound to happen sooner or later, right?", my answer not being the one he expected surprised him.

"Well yes, it was. But how do you feel about it?"

"I'm not gonna lie and say I don't care. But there's not much we can do about it. We have to accept that it's big news for the world, as it was for us a couple of months back. The only thing I feel strongly about is protecting Kaya after she's born. You chose this life and I chose to live it with you. She, on the other hand, will have no say in who her parents are and we cannot let them drag her face over social media and the glossies.", I had a lot of time to think about it and I was confident in how I felt regarding these new changes we'd have to make. Harry was always insanely private when it came to his personal life, friendships, family and relationships. Nothing would change in that sense, we'd still try and keep off social media, we'd take photos of Kaya for our eyes only and fiercely protect our family.

"We're on the same page. I just have to mention that, now that they know you're pregnant, every eye on the planet is going to be on us. We can talk about it with Jeff in January, it would make me feel better.", neither of us fully understood the gravity of our how our life was going to alter, but we tried hard to do our best and to be okay with it.

"Today is two years of us being in one another's life, can you believe it?", the thought never even crossed my mind, it was Christmas eve.

"Are you kidding? It feels like yesterday that I wrote you that letter. Wait here while I fetch your present.", he tried protesting, but I was already up and rummaging through Kaya's nursery for the little box I hid beneath a pile of nappies.

"I really hope you like it, I had it custom made.", the box was now in his hands and I couldn't hide my excitement. For two years, I'd been fascinated by Harry's rings, wanting to learn the story of each of them and how they made it onto his fingers. Now he'd have one that held the most special meaning.

"Teacup, it's precious.", he slid the silver band onto his middle finger and turned it around so the engraving was visible. I found the ring two months ago and loved its simplicity but felt it lacked character to become one of Harry's rings. So, I had Kaya's initials engraved on one side of it, thinking he could flip it over and hide the initials if he wanted to but he'd always have her close. A jewelry box appeared beside me on the bed, a bit bigger than the one I'd given Harry.

"Go on, open it.", the lid popped open and inside was a beautiful minimalist necklace with a coin like pendant. It seems we had the same idea, considering my pendant has Kaya's initials on one side as well.

"We're freakishly similar and it scares me.", Harry put the necklace on me and I leaned back into him, thinking about how I wished every moment with him could be my forever frozen frame.