FORTY

Pearl Jam: Dance Of The Clairvoyants (Mach II)

New Year's Eve was always such an odd holiday for me, it comes so fast and goes by even quicker. There's a whole buildup for something that happens in one second, and then it's a year long wait for it to roll around again. It was lovely seeing my old coworkers, especially Lil' and Jack. I had a hard time hiding my lack of motivation for work from Lil', but she didn't pry and told me I just had to trust that time would take care of things. As if it were that easy, Lil'... Harry and I were back in London, a grey and miserable London Sunday. We were in his house, making dinner.

"Teacup?", he called out from the living room, "I was thinking.". I didn't like the sound of that, because I knew that he'd normally just come out and say whatever was on his mind, if he weren't afraid of what my reaction would be. This overture scared me a bit.

"Yes, my love?"

"What if you moved in here with me?", he saw my surprised face and started backtracking right away.

"I mean on a trial basis. You keep your place in Wandsworth and we see how it goes."

"May I ask how this idea came to life?", I wasn't against it, I just wanted to see where his heart was at.

"Well... you live quite far from where you work and the tube's so much closer here in Hampstead, the area is overall nicer and we already spend so much time together that it would be logical to share the same space. It does not have to be right away, of course. What do you think?", his hopeful eyes would convince anyone to say yes to whatever the hell he was asking of them.

"How about this... I bring over some work and lounge clothes, fill up some of your drawers with my stuff and we try doing it two weeks at a time? For example: I spend two weeks at yours, then I go back to my place for a week and I come back after the week is up. How does that sound to you?", it could work like this, and I'd probably feel fine living with him, but I needed the security of having my own space for at least one week per month. It was important for me to know that I had somewhere to go if I needed to recharge my batteries and get my head back in the game.

"I think I can live with that, for now. We can go by yours tomorrow after work and get your stuff. I'll pick ya up.", he seemed really happy with my decision and I couldn't hide my excitement, either.

"I'm really surprised with how easily we came to this arrangement. I would've expected a bit more push back from myself, to be honest.", I laughed.

"That's exactly what makes it so incredible... you didn't fight me and you don't feel like this is something you're doing because I would like it that way. You like the idea too. It's a step we need to take together and I am so proud you understand and want it too.", his hand was draped around my neck while I stirred the potatoes for the mash. He was making Sunday roast and I was in charge of the sides. Gemma would join us a bit later, so we had to make plenty to go around. Dinner was so incredibly delicious that I had to go for seconds, right as Gemma rang walked in.

"Dearest sis, you're gonna have to stop coming in like that once teacup moves in.", Harry wasted no time in sharing the news. 

"Oh? Is that so? You're moving in?", I couldn't read her face, but what I could tell was that more of the concern she had was directed at Harry than it was at me. 

"A couple of weeks at a time, for starters, and then we'll see if he kills me by the end of first week.", they both laughed, which lightened the mood a bit. 

"Well I think you've both gone mad, but I love mad people and I support you fully. Now bring me a plate and let's eat.", she couldn't have been any clearer, which I was thankful for.