X Chapter Twenty Six X

Illumi canceled a few contracts to stay home with me after Hisoka kidnapped me. He was always protective of me, but this was a new level, he'd never canceled a contract before. Zoldyck's didn't cancel contracts. Luckily Zeno took them over so as not to ruin the family's reputation. It had been a few weeks since the incident, my morning sickness only got worse. It seemed every food and every smell made me sick to my stomach. I'd lost a few pounds which was quite concerning. I had no idea what was wrong with me. I couldn't seem to keep any food down.

After a few weeks of us being holed up in our private West Wing, the rest of the Zoldyck's grew curious. Zeno showed up, genuinely concerned and was the only member of the Zoldyck family Illumi would let get close to me. His parents were turned away at the door each time one of them would try to inquire as to what was going on. We hadn't told any of them yet but I had a feeling Zeno knew what was going on.

"Syn?" Illumi's soft voice sounded next to me and I felt his hand attempt to pat me on the head and smooth my hair back. He was much too rough, it felt akin to a toddler petting a dog or cat applying way too much pressure and dragging back my skin a little.

"Ow." I mumbled softly and slowly opened my eyes. My heart skipped a beat as I found his face hovering just in front of mine.

His lips were pressed into a thin line, his black soulless eyes were blank as usual but his expression seemed almost concerned. "You should try to eat something." He offered me a hand to sit up.

I didn't even have the energy to sit up. The mention of food made my stomach churn, "no, it's just going to make me sick." I whined, I was so tired of being sick, I didn't think I could throw up anymore, I couldn't take it.

His frown seemed to grow. "You need to eat."

I knew he was right but I was absolutely miserable and it seemed pointless. No matter what I ate, I got sick and threw it all back up. In protest, I grumbled incoherently and tried to roll away from him. I didn't even have the energy to roll away.

Illumi frowned again and lifted me off the bed.

"Ah! Wh-what are you doing?" I gasped as the room started to spin a little.

He didn't feel the need to answer me and carried me downstairs to the kitchen. Without a word he carried me into the kitchen and set me down on the countertop. I noticed every other inch of the countertop was covered with plates of various strange things.

Next to where he set me down was a plate with pickle spears and peanut butter. There was a plate of various cut up melons, a plate with what looked like a hamburger between two ice cream sandwiches. It was an odd assortment of things that didn't appear to go together.

"Illumi...what is this?" I asked him warily as I looked at all the stomach-churning concoctions.

"Common pregnancy cravings." He replied simply and picked up the plate with the pickle spears and peanut butter. My stomach churned as he picked one of them up, dipped it in the peanut butter and offered it to me.

I hesitated.

Illumi stared at me blankly and I had a feeling if I waited too much longer, he'd resort to using force.

I reluctantly took a bite. It tasted weird. I managed to chew a few times but when I went to swallow it, my body reacted violently and rejected it. Illumi reacted quicker than I did and a clean small white trashcan appeared in front of me for me to vomit in. Tears welled in my eyes; I'd been throwing up so much it was now starting to hurt when I did.