X Chapter Twenty Three X

I woke briefly as Illumi tried to be tender and tuck me into bed but nearly strangled me in the process. Realizing his mistake, he frowned and I resisted the urge to sigh, he really needed to stop going to Hisoka for advice. Noticing he'd woken me up, his frown deepened before he leaned forward and placed a kiss to my temple.

"Sleep." He said softly before turning to walk away.

"...Illumi..." I called after him softly not wanting him to leave.

He paused and turned to me. His usual emotionless mask was in place. His dark soulless eyes bore into me and I hesitated.

I bit my lip not wanting to be selfish. He had a contract; it would be wrong to keep him from it. I hesitated not sure what to say since 'don't go' was far too needy. "Be safe." I said softly and almost cringed, that was unusual for me and he'd definitely catch it.

His lips pulled into a frown and he slowly walked back to the bedside. He reached out to feel my forehead. I instinctively braced myself for the impact expecting to be concussed from it. A gasp escaped me at his surprisingly gentle touch as he placed his hand to my forehead. I opened my eyes and peered up at him.

"What's wrong?" He frowned again.

"N-nothin-ow." I grimaced as he caught me by the chin his long fingers smooshing my cheeks together somewhat painfully in his awkward grip as he caught my lie.

He blinked once before easing his grip.

"...I don't want you to go yet..."

His features seemed to soften though he still wore no expression on his face. He sat down on the bed beside me. I started to relax until he grabbed me by the face and wrenched me closer to him. It seemed like he was trying to be tender again, but was horribly out of practice. He dropped my head onto his lap and I winced at the sudden whiplash I'd received before smiling. Despite how awkward and clumsy it was when he tried to be sweet, it was very endearing.

I relaxed as he gently laid his hand on the side of my head before smoothing his fingers though my pale hair. My eyes fluttered closed, lulled by his touch. "I love you, Illumi." I sighed somewhat dreamily.

"I love you, Syn." He said softly as I slowly drifted back to sleep. The last thing I remembered was him moving me into a more comfortable sleeping position and covering me up without strangling me.

...

I woke to the sound of my mobile device ringing shrilly. Sitting up with a yawn, I wrapped the silken sheet around my naked body and went to grab my phone off the table in the entryway where I'd dropped it when Illumi carried me into the room. The bodies from our murderous night of passion had all been cleared away, there was no sign that they'd ever been here.

Zeno's name flashed across the screen of my mobile device. I picked it up, "Jiji?"

"Syn." I could hear a smile in his voice, "are you with Illumi?"

"No, he's on a contract." I replied softly.

"You're still near Yorknew City, correct?"

I nodded, "yes, are you nearby?"

"I am. Would you mind meeting me somewhere?"

"I don't mind." I smiled.

"I'll forward you the place and time." He paused, "you sound happy, Syn."